What can you do to elevate your chocolate chip cookies? Well, there are several things that I’ve figured out recently to make the PERFECT chocolate chip cookies: One, is topping them with sea salt before baking. The salt really brings out the chocolate. Next, adding cornstarch. This makes the inside super chewy with a slight crisp on the edges. Another big one, is chilling the dough before they bake (so they don’t spread too thin). One more? Using 2 different kinds of chocolate. My picks were semi-sweet & dark. I know, cray-zay.
I made these for one of our close friends, who might have a slight obsession with chocolate chip cookies. He said they were the best he’s ever had, which trust me, is everything. Sometimes the most common & traditional foods, like chocolate chip cookies, are the hardest to perfect. These are absolute perfection.
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- + Sea Salt (about 1-2 Tablespoons)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda & salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter for 2 minutes (paddle attachment). Add sugars to butter & beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. Add egg & vanilla, continue to beat for another 3 minutes. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet, scraping the sides as you go (make sure the batter is moistened before turning mixer back on). Mix slowly until just combined. Add in both chocolate chips & fold in by hand.
- Cover & chill for AT LEAST 1 hour to overnight (up to 2 days).
- Once batter is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Scoop batter onto sheets with a medium cookie scoop, spaced a few inches apart
- Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sea salt. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until tops set (9 minutes seems to be perfect - the inside may look slightly undercooked, but will finish cooking on the baking sheet).
- Remove from oven & leave them on the cookie sheets for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.