Triple Lemon Macarons

Triple Lemon Macarons | The Blonde Buckeye

I love lemon-flavored anything & I obviously love macarons. It was only a matter of time before these two loves collided. These are actually Triple Lemon Macarons too, all lemon everythang. Lemon Macs, Lemon Curd & Lemon Buttercream. I actually made these for a dear friend’s birthday (she loves lemon too) since macarons make the best gifts! They are adorable-looking, they are oh-so delicious & easy to pack in a cute little box. Sounds like the perfect gift.

Triple Lemon Macarons | The Blonde BuckeyeTriple Lemon Macarons | The Blonde BuckeyeTriple Lemon Macarons | The Blonde BuckeyeTriple Lemon Macarons | The Blonde Buckeye

Triple Lemon Macarons
Makes about 30 macarons
  • 110 grams Blanched Slivered Almonds (or almond meal)
  • 200 grams Powdered Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest (air-dried for at least 2 hours up to overnight)
  • 90 grams Egg Whites (at room temperature)
  • 30 grams Granulated Sugar
  • Yellow Food Coloring Gel or Powder
  • ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, softened (1/2 a stick)
  • 1 to 2 cups Powdered Sugar (plus more if needed)
  • 2-3 teaspoons Heavy Cream
  • 1 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
  • ½ teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract
  • Sprinkle of Salt
  • Lemon Curd (optional)
  2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats (double up sheets if needed).
  3. Process almonds, powdered sugar and dried lemon zest in a food processor until blended into a fine powder. Sift mixture into a large mixing bowl & set aside.
  4. Combine egg whites & granulated sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip egg whites & sugar until stiff peaks, adding the food coloring during about the last minute of beating the egg whites. (My perfect time is 2 minutes on speed 4, then 2 minutes on speed 6, & then another 2 minutes on speed 8 - they should stay put if you hold the bowl upside-down).
  5. Add the dry mixture into the egg whites.
  6. Using a spatula, smash dry ingredient into the egg white, flattening mixture (use about 5-10 quick strokes to release the air). Then fold mixture onto itself until it becomes shiny again (another 30-40 strokes). When you lift up the spatula, there should be solid, thick ribbons that run off (this whole macaronage process should take no more than about 50 strokes).
  7. Transfer the batter to a large piping bag (I like to use a #12 round icing tip, but it's optional).
  8. Using circle guides or freehand, pipe about 1¼" circles onto the prepared baking sheets (they will spread to about 1½"), keeping them at least 1-2" apart to allow for spreading. Do this same method for the second baking sheet.
  9. Holding each end of the baking sheet, give it a good slam on the counter. Rotate the pan & give it another few slams to release any air bubbles that remain. Let the macs sit out for 30 minutes before baking to form a dry shell on the tops to prevent cracking.
  10. Preheat the oven to 315 degrees F.
  11. Bake each sheet, one at a time, for about 15-16 minutes (depending on size), rotating the pan once halfway through. Once they're ready, carefully test one by attempting to lift it off the baking sheet. If the top half starts to come off from the feet, it could use a few more minutes.
  12. Remove the sheet from the oven & place it on a cooling rack, allowing the cookies to cool before removing them. Once they are cooled, match up macarons in pairs that are about the same size, one face down & one up.
  14. Beat the butter on medium-high speed for 2 minutes with an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, until soft & fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time until combined (carefully incorporate). Mix in the cream.
  15. Add lemon juice, zest, vanilla & salt, continue to beat on medium for another 1-2 minutes (Add up to a ½ cup more sugar if too thin or a little more cream if too thick).
  16. Pipe a circle of the buttercream around the edge the cookie that's facing up. Next add a dab of the lemon curd in the center of the circle (if you're using the curd). Sandwich the halves together, pushing the filling to the edges.
* If using parchment paper (as opposed to a silicone mat) using small magnets help keep the paper flat, just be sure to remove before baking
* Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days (or freeze them for up to one month), allow them to come to room temperature before eating
* Macarons are best eaten 24-48 hours after assembly

1. I have just recently forayed into the world of macarons, and it seems most recipes only flavor the buttercream. Thus, I was intrigued to come upon your recipe above. Do you have any issue with the zest altering the structural integrity of the shell? From the pictures it appears not to be an issue.

• Emily Emily says:

It didn’t alter it at all!! The zest NEEDS to be completely dried out though, that is the key – no added moisture.

2. Making macarons is truly an art.
    Not everyone (*ahem* like moi) can do it.

These are gorgeous and I love the lemon-overload!!

3. I love the addition of lemon curd. they sound fabulous!

4. Anber says:

Do you happen to have this recipe, but in cups?

• Hi Anber,
      No unfortunately due to the finicky nature of macarons, I have never attempted to make this recipe in cups and without a kitchen scale. I can assure you, I bought a pretty cheap scale from Target, and I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would!! So if you do bake semi-regularly, I would recommend getting one. But if you don’t, I have seen recipes on other blogs and websites, but I tried one a very long time ago and did not have success with it. Good luck!!! :)

5. Natalie says:

If you didn’t use food coloring, would the macarons still be yellow?

• Emily Emily says:

They might have a yellow tint because of the lemon zest, but not as yellow as the ones pictured :)

6. Are these Macarons soft and chewy on the inside when you bite into them? But still crispy on the outside?

7. Taylor says:

Hi Emily! Are these macarons chewy and soft on the inside or crunchy all the way?

8. Fantastic!!!!

9. daniella says:

how long would these stay fresh? like thye need to be in the fridge after making right? but how long do they last in the fridge?

• Emily Emily says:

I usually make them the day before I plan on serving them, and store them in the fridge overnight (in a tupperware). You can store them in the fridge for probably up to a week, just let them come to room temperature before serving. Or you could make just the shells and store them in a tupperware in the freezer for about a month (un-filled).

• daniella says:

do you think i can dry the lemon zest with a blowdryer? or in the oven?

10. Nancy Dyson says:

I made these exactly as the recipe states and they were beautiful going into the oven. Unfortunately during the last few minutes of baking the bright yellow macarons browned and now look so ugly? They are perfect and delicious otherwise. Any insight? How can I prevent this?

• Emily Emily says:

Hi Nancy, I’m so sorry to hear this! Everyone’s oven varies slightly, but with macarons especially. When I first started making them, I went through several failed batches due to baking temperature and time. Since they will brown quickly if left in the oven too long, I always watch them like a hawk during the last 5-10 minutes. Also if you make them a little smaller, that will also easily affect them since they’re pretty small to begin with (a template helps with this so you know they’re the same size very time). Also I’ve found that I can smell them as soon as they start to brown, so I make sure to pay attention to that too. I would probably try lowering the temperature by about 10-15 degrees next time, and just keeping them in there a few minutes longer. Or another way would be lowering the temperature about half way through, then keeping a close eye on them. I hope you find the temperature that works for your oven!
      P.S. When experimenting with this, try not to use any dark colors for the shells, so you can tell if they start to brown easier.

• nancy dyson says:

Thanks for the response. I actually found out that I wasn’t using heat safe food coloring which was making them discolor, not technically brown. I’ve only ever made chocolate ones so I never knew!

11. Chris says:

I know this is somewhat of an old post on your website, but I have to thank you for having such great macaron recipes. A couple months ago I got the itch to attempt to make macarons for the first time and I had a bunch of lemons, so I did some googling and found your lemon macarons recipe. This recipe fit exactly what I was looking for so I made my first attempt at macarons using it. I really didn’t do much research at all on the topic, so I was going in somewhat blind. Much to my surprise, I followed your recipe and the macarons came out perfect! I tried again, thinking it was just beginner’s luck and found that they came out perfect again! I tried the cinnamon roll macaron recipe from your site, and, you guessed it, they came out perfect yet again. That got me feeling pretty confident since macarons are notoriously difficult to make, so I tried a recipe from another site that used a different method and failed MISERABLY (batter ran, was lumpy, etc). It was not a pretty sight. I did not appreciate how awesome your macaron recipes were until I tried others and I just wanted to thank you. Now I’m just hoping that you haven’t given up macarons and will post more variations of the recipes! Thank you again so much!

• Emily Emily says:

Hey Chris! That is one of my favorite recipes! I love making macarons and I’m so glad you had good luck with my recipes!I did not have the same luck when I started! haha :) Don’t worry, I will never stop making macarons… I am planning on making them in the next few weeks once I figure out a new flavor combo I want to try. So keep checking back for that! Thanks for the great comment!!

1. […] Recipe & Photo credit to […]

2. […] 25, 2014 paucarbajal1 Leave a comment Triple Lemon Macarons […]

3. […] recipe is curtesy of and has only been slightly tweaked, mostly in the cream department, because having never made […]