I love those classic, simple recipes that you can put a MILLION twists on. One of those is Rice Krispies Treats. For a holiday version, I made these Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies awhile back, and man were they good! I think you can use pretty much any kind of cereal, plus delicious add-ins like chocolate or peanut butter, and then, you can top it with melted chocolate and candies or sprinkles (the options are endless).
When I make treats for a friend, I cater them so they’re actually for that person. There’s nothing worse than bringing in peanut butter cookies for someone that has a peanut allergy, or cake for someone whose doesn’t like frosting. I made these for an office buddy who loves cookies & cream anything, and loves white chocolate. I thought these would be perfect, and they were. Plus we could count them as breakfast… since theres cereal in them (duh).
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 10.5 ounces Mini Marshmallows (1 bag)
- 9.5 ounces Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme Cereal (just under 1 box)
- 15 Oreo Cookies (roughly chopped)
- 1½ cups White Chocolate chunks or chips
- 5 Oreo Cookies (roughly chopped)
- Prepare a 9" x 13" dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over low-medium heat. Once butter is melted, stir in marshmallows. Continue stirring until marshmallows are also melted and combined with butter.
- Remove mixture from heat and fold in cereal. Try to get all the cereal coated and add the Oreo pieces. Continue to fold mixture until everything is mixed and evenly distributed.
- Transfer cereal mixture to prepared dish. Using your hands or a sturdy spatula to gently press mixture in the pan. Try to make the top as even as possible.
- Melt the chocolate, either in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave, until a smooth pour-able consistency. If you do this in the microwave, make sure and only heat for 30 seconds at a time (at 60% power) and stir between additional 30 second intervals.
- Once chocolate is all melted and smooth, pour over the cereal and smooth out until even. Immediately following, sprinkle the remaining 5 crushed Oreos on the top, pressing them lightly into the chocolate to secure.
- Cover dish and either let it sit at room temperature overnight or refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Once chocolate is hardened, cut into squares.