I usually like a little afternoon snack. It’s like the 3 o’clock-slump-snack. Often times, a granola bar with some fruit, usually an apple, really hits the spot. Once I cut dairy I found some new granola bars, but of course they didn’t have chocolate chips 🙁 And then when I cut the rest of the allergens, my new ones were no good too. Unfortunately the box says “may contain wheat” and they definitely contain nuts. I found out shorty after, they all do! So you guessed it, I made my own. And you know what?! So much better!
Now unlike the store-bought granola bars, I kept these stored in the fridge. Since there are no preservatives and they aren’t individually wrapped, I didn’t want them to go bad before I could eat an entire batch (which trust me, wasn’t that long anyways). Then I found out, they’re actually soooo good cold. So it became my preference anyways. Every morning I put one in a zip lock bag and kept it in the fridge until that afternoon. Even though it was a nutritious snack, it honestly felt more like a treat.
- 2½ cups Gluten-free Rolled Oats
- 1½ cups Gluten-free puffed Rice Cereal**
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil
- ⅓ cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar, packed
- ¼ cup SunButter
- ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1½ cups Mini Dairy-free/ Soy-free chocolate chips***
- Prepare an 13" x 9" baking dish/ pan with either nonstick cooking spray, melted coconut oil or line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the GF Oats, GF Cereal & salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the coconut oil, honey (or syrup), brown sugar and SunButter over low-medium heat. Continue stirring for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves. Remove mixture from the heat and add the vanilla, whisking to combine.
- Pour wet mixture over the dry, mixing carefully until combined. Allow mixture to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Fold in about ½ cup of the mini chocolate chips (they might melt some).
- Transfer oat mixture to the prepared baking dish, pressing it out to all sides evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the mini chocolate chips on the top, pressing them lightly into the top.
- Place pan in the fridge and allow it to chill for about 30 minutes (or longer). Once chilled, cut into bars or squares.
* Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for 5 days or in the fridge for longer (I highly recommend these chilled).
* Make sure to check all packages your using for sneaky ingredients if you're sensitive to any allergens.
** I used Enjoy Life Cereal
*** I used Enjoy Life Mini Chips