Need a way to use up those leftover candy canes? I did. So I made these delicious treats. I have been on a search for cereal that I can eat. I’ve found a few ‘allergen-free’ cereals… but they were not great. Turns out, the Gluten Free Chex are approved! Who knew. Anyways when I saw the vanilla ones I thought they’d make a great marshmallowy treat.
Have you ever noticed that when you make your own candy cane pieces they get sticky in about a day? I HATE that. There is nothing worse than make gorgeous cookies or cupcakes topped with candy cane pieces, and then you notice a few hours later the tops are wet & sticky! I found a pretty good way to prevent this; crushing the candy canes with powdered sugar. I just threw the candy canes into my food processor along with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and pulsed it to a coarse crumb. I kept the extra in a ziplock bag for day and they never turned sticky!
- ¼ cup Vegan/ Soy-free Butter*
- 6 cups (about1 box) Vanilla Chex cereal
- 5 cups (about 1-10.5 oz bag) Mini Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Crushed Candy Cane Pieces (pulsed with a sprinkle of powdered sugar if homemade)
- 1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips*
- Prepare a 9" x 13" (or 9" x 9" for thicker bars) dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray and/or lining it with parchment or wax paper.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over low-medium heat. Once butter is melted, stir in marshmallows. Continue stirring until marshmallows are also melted and combined with butter.
- Remove mixture from heat and fold in cereal. Try to get all the cereal coated. Continue to fold mixture until everything is mixed and evenly distributed. Next fold in the candy cane pieces until combined.
- Transfer cereal mixture to prepared dish. Using your hands or a sturdy spatula to gently press mixture in the pan. Try to make the top as even as possible. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips & press them into the top.
- Cover dish and either let it sit at room temperature for several hours or refrigerate until bars are set. Once it's ready, cut into squares.
* Store in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the fridge, for up to 5 days.