Have you ever had a need for buttermilk but forgot to buy it or ran out? With my 11 Buttermilk Substitute options, I can show you how to make simple homemade buttermilk using ingredients you most likely already have on hand!
Option 1 – Milk + Lemon Juice (Sour Milk)
- 1 cup whole milk (or 2% milk – not quite a full cup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh squeezed or bottled lemon juice)
- Combine the milk and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Allow for up to 10 minutes of sourness.
- Use the buttermilk in your recipe after stirring it in. Please keep in mind that the buttermilk will have a slightly curdled texture and appearance – this is normal!
- Category: Condiment
- Method: None
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup buttermilk
- Calories: 152kcal
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 105mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
Keywords: Buttermilk substitution, buttermilk, buttermilk subs, homemade buttermilk recipe