With a thicker and sweeter dough, Cuban Pizza is cheesy and delectable. This traditional Cuban sandwich pizza recipe, also known as Pizza Cubana, is simple to make with only a few simple ingredients. It’s my go-to supper when I’m in the need for something warm and comforting.
Cuban Pizza Dough:
- 1 packet active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 1 cup warm water 110-120°F
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Toppings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced ham, or chorizo sausage, or pepperoni
- optional chopped parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and warm water. Allow 5-10 minutes for foam to form.
- Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Toss the dry ingredients with the olive oil and yeast mixture. With a wooden spoon, combine the ingredients until the dough barely begins to come together.
- Hand-knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until it’s soft and elastic. In a greased mixing bowl, place the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let aside for 30 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using olive oil, grease a 9-inch round baking pan. In the pan, place the dough. By gradually flattening the dough ball, you can stretch it. Poke holes in the dough with a fork all over the surface.
- Spread the swiss cheese evenly across the surface.
- On top of the cheese, layer sliced onions and cubed beef.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the crust has turned golden brown.
- Transfer the pizza to a chopping board after removing it from the oven.
- Garnish with parsley or basil, if desired. Slice and serve right away.
- The dough can be made ahead of time. Allow it to rise first, then cover it in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw in the refrigerator before bringing to room temperature.
- To reheat leftover pizza, bake it for 5 minutes, or until the crust is crispy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 489kcal
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 487mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Cuban Pizza, Pizza Cubana