The classic Chinese steamed entire fish inspired this Chinese Style Oven Baked Fish. The fish fillet is cooked in parchment paper with fragrant sesame oil and fresh ginger, and the sauce is poured on top right before serving. The scallions and cilantro on top provide a wonderful freshness and flavor. Delicious, simple, and nutritious!
- 1 fish fillet white fish – cod, halibut, etc
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 inch ginger sliced or julienned
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 dash white pepper
- 1 stalk scallion cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- red chili sliced or julienned
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the fish fillet horizontally on a piece of parchment paper. Season the fish with salt and pepper after drizzling 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over it.
- Garnish the fish with sliced or julienned ginger.
- Fold the parchment paper up to cover the bottom half of the fish before folding it down to cover the top half. Roll and fold the left and right edges of the parchment paper down towards the fish, then tuck each side of the fish with the parchment paper.
- Place the wrapped fish on a baking pan and bake.
- After 10 minutes, remove the fish from the oven and flake it with a fork to see if it is cooked through. If the fish flakes easily, it’s ready; if it’s still transparent and won’t flake, return it to the oven to finish cooking.
- Prepare the sauce by blending water, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, sugar, and a pinch of white pepper as you wait for the fish to cook.
- Tear the parchment paper horizontally across the fish as soon as it’s done, then pour the sauce all over it.
- Fresh cilantro, scallions, and sliced or julienned red chile are garnished. Serve right away.
- To bake fish, you can use a variety of parchment paper folding techniques. You can fold the paper in any way you choose as long as it makes a nice seal and can be readily torn to pour the sauce over the fish after it’s done cooking.
- Place the wrapped fish on a baking sheet and into the oven.
- Category: Main
- Method: Steamed
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 53kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: chinese food, seafood, steamed fish