A great alternative to the well-known California Roll is crunchy roll sushi. This crisp roll has a shrimp tempura filling and a crispy panko breadcrumb covering. The texture and flavor are incredible! This recipe is simple to prepare at home and is comparable to the dish from your preferred Japanese eatery.
For the Sushi Rice
- 1 ½ cup sushi rice (uncooked short-grain sushi rice)
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons optional sushi vinegar (or mixing 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar)
For the Tempura California Roll
- 8 pre-cooked shrimp tempura (you can sub cooked shrimp or imitation crab)
- 1 avocado (ripe but still firm, cut into thin slices. you can sub sliced cucumber)
- 2 sheets nori (seaweed sheet)
For the Crunchy Topping
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Optional for Serving
- unagi sauce
Cook Sushi Rice & Prepare Other Ingredients
- In the rice cooker, combine the washed sushi rice and water. Once cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool somewhat. When it’s still very warm, add the sushi vinegar and gently mix it in.
- Make tempura shrimp. If you use frozen shrimp tempura, bake them at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp.
Make the Crunchy Topping
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Combine the panko bread crumbs and mix well.
- Cook for a few minutes, or until the panko begins to become golden brown. Constantly stirring.
- Allow the toasted panko to cool.
- Make Tempera California Rolls
- Wrap a piece of plastic wrap around the bamboo mat (to prevent the rice from sticking to the bamboo).
- Using a pair of scissors, cut the nori sheet in half.
- Place half of the nori sheet, shiny side down, on top of the bamboo mat.
- Spread roughly 3/4 cup cooked rice evenly across the nori sheet. Before handling the rice, soak your hands in vinegar water (Tezu water*). This will keep you from sticking.
- Turn everything over so that the rice is facing down.
- On top of the nori, layer 2-3 pieces of shrimp tempura and 2 slices of avocado.
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat up and over the filling with your thumbs.
- Roll the bamboo mat away from you and press down to tighten it. Continue rolling until the two ends touch.
- Remove the plastic wrap.
Assemble the Roll
- Top the sushi roll with the toasted bread crumbs. Then, on top of it, add a new piece of plastic wrap and cover with the sushi mat. Squeeze the bread crumbs lightly around the roll.
- Keep the plastic wrap while removing the mat from the roll. After that, cut the roll into bite-size pieces. Take off the plastic wrap. Drizzle with unagi sauce or mayonnaise and serve.
- *To make Tezu water for dipping hands, use 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons rice vinegar.
- To keep your sushi rolls from breaking apart, squeeze the rice and contents while rolling. When you’re done, lightly squeeze the roll one more time.
- Allow the panko bread crumbs to cool before adding them to the sushi roll.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 24 pcs (3 rolls)
- Calories: 71kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 36mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: Crunchy Roll, Crunchy Roll Sushi