Learn how to microwave steam broccoli so that it comes out perfectly every time. It’s a quick and easy recipe that takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.
- 1 large head broccoli about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- lemon optional
- Thoroughly clean your broccoli. Remove the stalk from the crown. Break the crown into large florets, then slice the florets into bite-sized pieces. (If you want to eat the stems, peel the skin and slice them thinly.)
- Place the florets in a microwave-safe bowl, followed by the water.
- Cover with a microwave-safe lid or a ceramic plate large enough to completely cover the bowl.
- 3 minutes in a high-powered microwave. Check for doneness after 30 seconds and repeat until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove the lid to allow the steam to escape. Be cautious because the steam can be extremely hot.
- Place the broccoli on a plate.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
The best way to clean broccoli is with a vinegar-water solution (1:3 ratio between vinegar and water). Soak the broccoli for 5 minutes in the mixture to ensure that no insects remain lodged inside the florets. After that, thoroughly rinse it under cold running water.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: None
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 52kcal
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 51mg
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: Microwave broccoli recipe, simple microwave broccoli recipe, broccoli recipe, side dish recipe, broccoli