The Panda Express Shanghai Angus Steak is a fast stir fry with onions, mushrooms, asparagus, and Angus sirloin steak. The sauce is the key to an excellent, better-than-Panda version! For the tastiest wok fried shanghai steak, combine this easy-to-make entrée with my homemade kecap manis!
- 12 oz Angus sirloin steak (cut into 1” strips)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce (divided – 1 tablespoon portion & 3 tablespoon portion)
- 2 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- ½ tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 small white onion (sliced & cut into 1″ pieces)
- 12 oz asparagus (1 bunch, cut into 1″ pieces)
- 1 ½ cups white mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ cup Chinese Rice Wine (or cooking sherry)
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a small mixing dish. Coat the steak pieces thoroughly with the sauce. Allow for at least an hour of marinating in the cornstarch mixture.
- Combine the remaining soy sauce, kecap manis, and Worcestershire sauce in a small mixing dish. Remove the item from circulation.
- Over high heat, preheat a large skillet or wok. Wait for the sesame seed oil to begin to smoke. Stir in the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until the onion turns translucent.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes after adding the mushrooms. Cook the marinated steak until it is no longer pink (about 4-5 minutes). Stir in the asparagus, followed by the Chinese Rice Wine or cooking sherry, for about 1 minute before adding the sauce (soy sauce, kecap manis, and Worcestershire) and black pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes (covered if you want your Shanghai Angus Steak to be extra saucy) or until the asparagus is soft and the sauce has thickened to your liking. Remove from the heat and serve right away.
- Category: Main
- Method: Pan fry
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 386kcal
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 1222mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
Keywords: angus steak, beef,