This simple potato soup is gluten-free and vegetarian. It’s easy to create with only four ingredients, and it’s also inexpensive! This is a great recipe to try for your next weeknight meal.
- russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 2% or whole milk
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- garlic salt (optional)
- black pepper
- Bring a big saucepan of water to a boil with just enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook the potatoes for another 15-20 minutes, or until they are tender. The potato should mostly fall apart when probed with a fork.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and drain most of the water, leaving only a half-inch of water at the bottom. (Don’t worry, this doesn’t have to be exact!
- Add the milk, garlic, salt, and pepper, and mash the potatoes gently with the back of a fork until they begin to break down. I like my soup thick, but you could use a potato masher or a blender to make it smoother.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Divide the mixture into bowls and top with a little cheese, green onions, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Soup
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Soup, Creamy Cheese Potato Soup, Soup Recipe