- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white onion, dice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, crumbled, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After washing and peeling the potato, roast it for 1 hour. Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- In a deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons butter for the soup.
- Fry the onion until it turns light brown (but not burnt).
- To make a roux, mix in about 2 tbsp flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and thyme and add 4 cups chicken stock and roughly 2 cups water.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Returning to the backed potato, dice it into small pieces before adding it to the soup.
- Allow to cook and then bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the soup thickens
Many people prefer boiling potatoes to roasted potatoes. I haven’t tried it yet, but if you have, please leave a comment and tell me how it turned out.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 283kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 309mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Chili’s Baked Potato Soup, Potato soup, baked potato soup