This beef stew is tender and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. It’s one of the best recipes to cook beef cubes.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Preheat a big saucepan to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and enough beef to fit in a single layer with enough space between them once the pan is heated. (If required, cook in batches.)
- Allow the meat to brown for 2 minutes before flipping and browning for another 2 minutes. Remove the steak to a dish and repeat with the remaining oil.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, scraping the browned pieces from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Combine the browned meat, red wine, broth, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. To blend, stir everything together.
- Cover and braise for 2 hours in the centre of a preheated oven, until the meat is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the potatoes and carrots from the oven and place them in the pot. Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve and have fun!
- If you’re using salty beef broth, you might want to cut back on the salt.
- Allow the beef stew to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. When kept in the fridge, it can last up to four days.
- The beef stew can be frozen for up to three months if stored in an airtight container or ziptop bag.
- Category: Main
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 493kcal
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 996mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 37g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
Keywords: beef stew recipe, how to make beef stew