Taco Bowl dish that is simple to make! This dinner is hearty, full of healthy ingredients, and makes an excellent make-ahead weekly meal prep choice.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup rice and 2 cups chicken stock, chicken broth, or water
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock or water, for cooking the rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large lime (2 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef 85/15 or higher
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH: paprika, cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: oregano, salt, and pepper
- 1/2 cup mild picante sauce (found right next to salsas in the grocery store)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, rinsed
- Sharp Cheddar cheese (grated), sour cream (fat-free or low-fat is great!), fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, fresh avocado, fresh tomatoes, or quick pico de gallo
- 2 cups chicken stock, brought to a boil over medium-high heat Return to a boil after adding the butter and rice. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is soft and cooked through. Combine the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, and salt & pepper to taste in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the ground meat. Cook and crumble until thoroughly browned (draining off and discarding any grease). Heat the seasonings (chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt, and pepper) until aromatic. Stir in the picante sauce and heat until warmed through.
- To serve as a meal, layer the rice, taco meat, beans, and corn in individual bowls or plates with your favorite toppings such as grated Cheddar cheese, a teaspoon of sour cream, fresh lime, fresh cilantro, fresh diced/sliced avocado, and fresh tomatoes or quick pico de gallo.
- See the last line of the blog post for instructions on how to repurpose the pork, beans, and corn into a delicious taco salad.
- Meal Prep: Fill your meal prep container with cooked and cooled rice, cooked and slightly cooled beef, beans, and corn. Toppings should be separated into different containers or plastic bags. Refrigerate for 4-5 days after carefully covering/sealing everything. In a microwave or skillet, warm the rice, beef, corn, and beans mixture, then add the prepared toppings.
Combine 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons diced red onion, 1 tablespoon diced jalapeo, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, and 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: None
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 513kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 590mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 40g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
Keywords: taco bowl recipe, camping taco bowl recipe, easy taco bowl recipe, camping dinner ideas recipe