The best chocolate spice cake recipe, ideal for fall and holiday gatherings! You’ll love this old-fashioned chocolate spice cake recipe – buttermilk, molasses, and warm spices make this a rich, moist, flavorful cake, and an incredible cream cheese frosting ties it all together!
- baking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg – freshly grated, if possible
- pinch ground cardamom
- pinch black pepper – freshly cracked
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – optional
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk – room temperature
- ¾ cup hot brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and lightly coat with baking spray.
- Spray with baking soda
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the vegetable oil until the dry ingredients are well coated, then add the eggs, vanilla extract, and molasses.
- Stir in the buttermilk until combined, then add the hot coffee.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool the cake layers slightly in the pans before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 12 slices
- Calories: 593kcal
- Sugar: 90g
- Sodium: 537mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 111g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: Cake dessert, spice chocolate cake recipe, chocolate cake, chocolate spice cake