The best chocolate spice cake recipe, ideal for fall and holiday gatherings!
You’ll adore this old-fashioned chocolate spice cake recipe – buttermilk, molasses, and warm spices create a rich, moist, flavorful cake, and our incredible cream cheese frosting ties it all together!
FREE Get Yours Today!
3 Secrets to Ease Your Cooking
This chocolate spice cake from scratch will be a welcome addition to your holiday dessert table.
This homemade chocolate cake recipe, spiced with cinnamon and allspice, will become a family favorite.
OLD FASHIONED CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE RECIPE
If you’re looking for a moist spiced chocolate cake, look no further! This is a dark chocolate spice cake recipe made with buttermilk, vegetable oil, and an incredible spice blend.
It’s absolutely delicious and ideal for your fall and holiday gatherings!
I especially like how the chocolate and spices combine to create an incredible flavor, and the cream cheese frosting completes it perfectly!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE FLAVORED CAKE BETTER?
First, a delicious spice and molasses blend like this one transforms a basic chocolate cake recipe into a show-stopping seasonal dessert!
I also adore the cream cheese frosting we used for this chocolate spice cake; it perfectly balances the rich, spicy flavors for an incredible result!
EASY CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- All-purpose Flour – make sure to measure it correctly! In fact, I recommend measuring by weight with a kitchen scale.
- Cocoa Powder – Adding unsweetened cocoa powder to this chocolate and spice cake adds a rich chocolate flavor!
- Ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, black pepper, and cayenne pepper combine to create a bold, yet balanced blend of flavors that complement the chocolate cake so well!
- Baking powder and baking soda are leaveners that contribute to our cake’s lift and fluffy texture.
- Salt – ideal for bringing out all of the spicy flavors!
- The secret to a moist cake is vegetable oil! The use of vegetable oil also makes our chocolate spice layer cake so simple to make!
- Before mixing in the eggs, make sure they are at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract – Use a high-quality pure vanilla extract for the best flavor. Also, see my post on how to make vanilla extract at home using only two ingredients!
- Granulated Sugar – gives this chocolate spiced Christmas cake a lovely sweetness and texture!
- Molasses – no moist chocolate spice cake is complete without molasses’ amazing flavor and texture! It also contributes to the rich, dark color of the cake layers.
- Buttermilk – I love using buttermilk to make a moist, tender cake! If you don’t have buttermilk, see the recipe below for a suitable substitute!
- Hot Coffee – hot liquid helps the cocoa powder “bloom,” and making that liquid coffee deepens the richness of the chocolate flavor!
MIXING METHOD FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
This cake’s mixing method is an adaptation of the standard creaming method.
Simply combine the dry ingredients first, followed by the liquid ingredients.
Whip the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, then alternately add the dry and liquid ingredients. After that has been incorporated, add the hot coffee.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Check that the butter is soft and that the eggs are not cold!
- For the best flavor, use high-quality ingredients and accurately measure your ingredients. Instead of scooping the flour, spoon and level it.
- Always use a skewer to check for doneness! Every oven is different, and the baking pan you use also has an impact on how quickly the cake bakes.
- Melt together a teaspoon of coconut oil and the chocolate. It makes the chocolate glaze easier to spread and adds a nice shine.
- I always put the pan in the fridge after I spread the chocolate over the cooled cake. This speeds up the chocolate setting time!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to make this chocolate spice cake vegan?
Unfortunately, I haven’t tried this cake with vegan substitutes yet. However, if you try it, I recommend using this egg replacer and replacing the buttermilk with plant-based milk (create a buttermilk substitute with the tip below!). And, using a recipe like this one, you can make your own vegan cream cheese frosting!
How can I quickly bring my eggs to room temperature?
It is critical to use room temperature eggs in most baking so that the cold egg does not affect the rise or even baking of your finished product. If you didn’t have time to leave your eggs out to come to room temperature, try this trick! Simply place the eggs in a bowl of lukewarm water for 15 minutes. This will allow them to reach room temperature faster, ensuring a great result for this holiday chocolate spice cake!
How do I quickly soften cream cheese?
Simply remove the block of cream cheese from the foil and place it on a microwave-safe plate to soften for this chocolate and spice cake. Then, microwave for 15-20 seconds, or until softened. It should be ready to incorporate into your chocolate ginger spice cake!
How can I quickly bring my butter to room temperature?
Place the stick of butter on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high for 4 seconds to soften it for this spicy chocolate ginger cake. Then, turn the stick of butter so that the other side is facing up and heat for another 4 seconds. Repeat this process for a total of 16 seconds.