I knew this funfetti cupcake recipe was close behind after I released my funfetti cake recipe. Funfetti is still my all-time favorite flavor, as I’ve already stated.
FREE Get Yours Today!
3 Secrets to Ease Your Cooking
I now understand that cake sprinkles don’t actually impart any flavor. But I firmly believe that the vivid contrasts in color and the tiny alteration in texture brought on by the additional sugar crystals really make a difference.
Not just the sprinkles, either. Adding sprinkles to an excellent cake or cupcake recipe is the key to a fantastic funfetti recipe. The sprinkles are merely the final flourish. it flared.
The cupcakes’ base is really the star of the show, so I experimented a lot to get it just right.
THE SECRET INGREDIENT: SOUR CREAM, BESIDES SPRINKLES
The addition of sour cream to this funfetti cupcake recipe, in addition to sprinkles, really transforms it.
Although it may seem strange, sour cream is a fantastic ingredient to use in baking. I conducted extensive testing with my vanilla cupcake base when developing this recipe.
Utilizing sour cream also makes the batter whiter and brighter, which is a bonus. Sprinkles definitely shine up against white cupcake batter. It benefits them to appear as vibrant as possible.
For a number of reasons, I discovered that the cupcakes with sour cream as the dairy ingredient—rather than buttermilk or whole milk—were the greatest bases for adding sprinkles.
Sprinkles can occasionally adhere to the cupcake liner as they bake because of the sugar in them. They are therefore more difficult to peel than a vanilla cupcake. When sour cream is used to make the cupcakes, the cupcake liners come out the easiest.
The sour cream adds fluff and moisture to the cupcakes while reducing sprinkle color bleed. Actually, sour cream also produces the prettiest funfetti cupcakes, which is what I’m trying to imply.
WHAT KIND OF SPRINKLES SHOULD I USE FOR THIS RECIPE FOR FUNFETTI CUPCAKES?
Rainbow jimmies are the ideal sprinkles for creating funfetti cupcakes. They are the lengthier sprinkles that you once applied to your ice cream and may still do so.
Sprinkles vary greatly from one another. Use the proper kind of rainbow sprinkle when preparing funfetti cupcakes.
These sprinkles don’t quickly leak into your batter and retain their color.
This is crucial because it will ensure that your batter maintains its white color when you add it to your cupcake liners. Once the layers are baked, this will let the color of the sprinkles pop through.
I also advise purchasing a blend of rainbow sprinkles without any chocolate or brown sprinkles if you truly want to be choosy about your sprinkles.
The layers of funfetti cake look much better sans the brown sprinkles!
The tiny, spherical, rainbow-colored sprinkles are the kind you SHOULD NOT use. Nonpareils are the real adversary of funfetti cake layers; they go by the name of nonpareils.
Nonpareils will begin to lose color as soon as they are included into the cupcake mixture, creating an eerie pinkish-gray batter.
This may also occur if you whisk your batter after letting the rainbow jimmies rest in it for a long time.
Alternative Video: How to Make Funfetti Birthday Cupcakes
- 35 Super Fun Baking Recipe Ideas for you to Try!
- Perfect Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe (Homemade)
- Perfect Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe]Five Star)
- Super Creamy Caramel Apple Dip Recipe
THE SPRINKLE CONNECTION
I added some vibrant sprinkles to the top of these cupcakes to elevate them. Bright skies is the appropriately named sprinkle mixture from Sweetapolita.
As long as we’re talking about sprinkles, I’ve got a bargain for you! Use the promo code CHELSWEETS15 to receive 15% off your order from Sweetapolita if you need to replenish your sprinkle supply or enhance your sprinkle game.
I added a tiny dollop of frosting on the cupcake to create this design. I followed that by dipping the cupcake into a bowl of this lovely sprinkle mixture. I then piped a swirl of vanilla buttercream on top of each cupcake.
I cut a 1 1/2 cm aperture in the end of a piping bag for the initial frosting dollop. To create the second frosting swirl, I used a Wilton 1M.
Since you can never have enough sprinkles, I then added one more sprinkle to the top of the cupcakes.
CONFETTI VS. FUNFETTI CUPCAKES, WHICH IS SUPERIOR?
Sprinkle cupcakes had always been referred to as funfetti in my mind. However, I discovered through some keyword analysis that roughly 80% of people refer to them as confetti cupcakes.
Many of the boxed cake mixes back then referred to it as confetti cake mix. My theory is that we use the term we were accustomed to hearing.
The only company that calls its sprinkle cake mix funfetti is Pillsbury. I’m almost certain that as a child I used Pillsbury mix.
MAKING SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS FUNFETTI CUPCAKE RECIPE
- Use a kitchen scale to measure your dry ingredients or properly measure your flour (spoon into the cup measure, then level).
- Fill your cupcake liners quickly and effortlessly with a cookie scoop.
- Make sure to set out any chilly ingredients in advance because they will combine better when they are at room temperature.
- Before putting your cupcake pan in the oven, bang it on the counter. Any trapped air bubbles in the batter are brought to the top in this way.
- For a delicious flavor, use high-quality almond extract in your cupcakes.
TIPS FOR STORAGE & MAKING THESE CUPCAKES AHEAD OF TIME:
Prepare your cupcakes ahead of time! They can remain fresh for two days at room temperature, up to a week in the refrigerator, or up to three months in the freezer when kept unfrosted in an airtight container.
Additionally, prepare your frosting in advance or keep any excess icing! It can be frozen for up to three months or kept in the refrigerator for up to a month in an airtight container. When it thaws, be careful to give it a thorough stir to regain a smooth consistency.
In an airtight container, cupcakes with frosting can stay out overnight at room temperature. The best time to frost them, in my opinion, is just before serving.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (160g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (6g)
- 1/2 tsp fine salt (3g)
- 1/2 cup water (120ml)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (60ml)
- 1 large egg, room temperature (56g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4ml)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (2ml)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature (120g)
- 1/3 cup rainbow jimmies / long sprinkles (60g)
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature (113g)
- 1/4 tsp fine salt (2g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4ml)
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar (220g)
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream or milk, room temperature (15ml)
CUPCAKES IN FUN COLORS
- Set the oven’s temperature to 350°F/175°C to begin. A muffin pan should have 12 cupcake liners in it. Set away.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix everything together by whisking.
- Then combine the dry ingredients with 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/2 tsp almond extract. Mix just enough to combine and smooth out the batter.
- Gently whisk in 1/2 cup of sour cream until just blended.
- The sprinkles should be gently incorporated.
- About 3/4 of the way up the cupcake liners, pour the batter. Baking should last 19 to 21 minutes, or until a toothpick is clean.
- The cupcakes should cool for five minutes before being transferred to a wire rack to complete cooling. Put the muffin pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes to hasten the cooling process.
- With a whisk attachment or hand mixer, blend 1/2 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon salt for 30 seconds at medium speed.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar gradually in two portions. To make it easier to mix, add 1 Tbsp of heavy cream or milk halfway through.
- To make the frosting nice and fluffy, mix on medium-high speed for a few minutes after the ingredients have been properly mixed.
- Increase the amount of cream in the frosting if it is too thick (1 Tablespoon at a time). Add more powdered sugar if the frosting is too thin (quarter of a cup at a time).
- Large swirls of buttercream should be piped onto the completely cooled cupcakes using a piping bag fitted with your preferred frosting tip.
- Enjoy after any preferred garnishes!
Does Funfetti only contain vanilla and sprinkles?
Does Vanilla Cake with Sprinkles Make Funfetti Cake? A vanilla cake with buttery frosting and sprinkles mixed throughout is known as a funfetti cake. Vanilla cakes can be divided into two groups: yellow cake, which is baked using whole eggs to give it a golden hue.
Can I build a cake with a Funfetti cupcake mix?
Utilize paper baking cups for cupcakes. 2. For two minutes, use a mixer set at medium speed to combine the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs. Add batter to the pan (s).
How long should Funfetti cupcakes bake for?
When a toothpick put in the center of the cake comes out clean, bake for 18 to 22 minutes. Complete cooling. Cupcakes are FROSTED with vanilla frosting and Funfetti candies.
What type of oil are used to make Funfetti cupcakes?
The majority of packaged baked goods, like brownies and Funfetti cake, call for vegetable oil, eggs, and water. Pure fat like oil results in moist, soft baked items.
Why is it referred to as Funfetti?
Origin. The “Funfetti” cake, which is a combination of the words “fun” and “confetti,” was first offered by the Pillsbury Company in 1989, and it was this dessert that inspired its creation. This was a white cake batter that had been blended with sprinkles of various colors.
More Cupcake Recipes to try
SUPER MOIST CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
Each cupcake wrapper of these incredibly moist chocolate cupcakes is jam-packed with tons of chocolate flavor. This simple cupcake recipe will become a new family favorite because it just calls for commonplace ingredients. Use buttermilk and natural cocoa powder for the finest results. With chocolate buttercream, these chocolate cupcakes taste really outrageous!
ULTIMATE SALTED CARAMEL CUPCAKES
The icing has extra caramel sauce swirled into it, and there is a drizzle of caramel on top to finish off these cupcakes, which are known as the Ultimate Salted Caramel Cupcakes. You must create them!