Chopped beef burgers, melted gooey cheese, caramelized onions, tomatoes, and shredded lettuces are topped on a toasted hero bun in New York City’s Chopped Cheese Sandwich. This is the traditional method for making the famous New York City chopped cheese. It tastes like a Philly cheesesteak, but better!
- 4 burger patties (or 1/2 pound ground beef)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices American cheese or cheddar cheese
For the Bread
- 4 hero rolls sliced 3/4 through
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or to taste
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or to taste
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce shredded
Prepare the Bread
- With a serrated knife, slice the hero rolls 3/4 of the way through.
- In a large skillet or grill pan, toast the buns. Remove from the equation.
Preparing the Filling
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the diced onions and cook until they are caramelized. Place the mixture in a bowl and put it aside.
- Using salt and pepper, season the patties.
- In the same skillet, increase the heat to high and add the burger patties. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the bottom of the pan is beautifully browned.
- Cook for 1 minute after flipping the burger. Cut the burger into small pieces with two steel spatulas. Constantly stirring
- Continue to chop and whisk in the cooked onions.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and top each with two slices of cheese. Remove from the heat to allow the cheese to melt properly.
Assemble the Sandwich
- On the hero roll, spread a thin coating of mayo. Pour ketchup on top.
- Carefully transfer the contents into each roll using a sharp spatula.
- On top of the filling, scatter sliced tomatoes and shredded iceberg lettuce. If desired, season with extra salt and pepper.
- Wrap each roll in aluminum foil if desired. Serve warm, cut in half, and enjoy!
You can use ground beef instead of burger patties for this recipe.
- Category: Main
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 661kcal
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 1504mg
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
Keywords: Chopped Cheese, Chopped Cheese Sandwich