Chopped Cheese beef burgers, melted gooey cheese, caramelized onions, tomatoes, and shredded lettuces are topped on a toasted hero bun in New York City’s Chopped Cheese Sandwich.
This is the traditional method for making the famous New York City chopped cheese.
It tastes like a Philly cheesesteak, but better!
WHAT IS CHOPPED CHEESE?
The chopped cheese sandwich developed in New York City’s bodega, which are modest one-stop stores.
A Chopped Cheese is essentially a burger in a sandwich form. It begins with beef burger patties and onions, which are cut into little pieces while on the grill. Before the mixture is placed to a hero bun and topped with the toppings of your choice, American Cheese slices are added on top and melted (typically lettuce and tomatoes). It’s a quick and tasty dinner to eat on the road.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOPPED CHEESE SANDWICH
- Burger Patties
- Salt & Pepper
- American cheese
- Hero Rolls
- Mayonnaise, or to taste
- Iceberg Lettuce
THE BEST CHEESE FOR CHOPPED CHEESE BODEGA SANDWICH
The majority of New York City’s bodegas use American cheese in their chopped cheese sandwiches. It’s the greatest option because it melts better than other cheeses. Other cheeses, such as Cheez Whiz or provolone, can be substituted. For this dish, even mozzarella will suffice. Simply ensure that the slices are thin enough to melt fully.
Chopped Cheese Sandwiches Video Recipes you must try: How to make Chopped Cheese
- Ultimate Smoky Chipotle Burger Patties Recipe  (Best Ever!)
- 35 Best and Easy Sunday Dinner Ideas (For Family Recipes To Enjoy)
- Crispy Canned Corned Beef Hash Recipe (So Easy!)
WHAT KIND OF BREAD SHOULD I USE FOR NYC CHOPPED CHEESE?
The quality of the bread is critical to enjoying chopped cheese. The typical hero bun or hoagie roll, which is soft and fluffy on the inside but slightly crusty on the outside, is my recommendation.
HOW TO CHOP BURGERS?
The key to chopping your burger patties is to let them cook for a few minutes so they’re easy to cut through. This is especially important if you’re using a frozen patty as the bodegas do. A steel spatula will be easiest. You’ll need to chop it up lengthwise and widthwise, until it looks like ground beef.
Now, if you’re wondering, “why not just use ground beef?”, you absolutely can! For bodegas cooking quickly, the burger patties are already portioned out. But if you’re at home cooking for the family, this recipe can totally be made using ground beef, and you may even have some leftover!
HOW TO MAKE CHOPPED CHEESE
STEP 1: PREPARE THE BREAD
- With a serrated knife, slice the hero rolls 3/4 of the way through.
- In a large skillet or grill pan, toast the buns.
STEP 2: MAKE THE FILLING
- Caramelize diced onions in a skillet. Remove from the equation.
- Using salt and pepper, season the patties. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until beautifully browned on the bottom.
- Cook for 1 minute after flipping the burger.
- Cut the burger into small pieces with two steel spatulas.
- Continue to chop and whisk in the cooked onions.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and top each with two slices of cheese. Remove from the heat to allow the cheese to melt properly.
STEP 3: ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH
- On the hero roll, spread a thin coating of mayo. Pour ketchup on top.
- Carefully transfer the contents into each roll using a sharp spatula.
- On top of the filling, scatter sliced tomatoes and shredded iceberg lettuce. Warm it up and enjoy it!
TIPS FOR THE BEST CHOPPED CHEESE
- Toast the bread: Toasting the bread prevents it from becoming soggy when the condiments are added. Before you add your burgers, toast it in the toaster or set the slices facing down on the skillet.
- Chop the burger patties, not the cheese: While the term implies that the cheese is chopped, chopping up burger patties with cheese on them will leave you in a sticky condition. The ideal method is to chop the beef, place it in a pile on the skillet in a form that resembles your bun, and then cover it with cheese.
- You can make it spicy: Bodegas provide all the fixings for customizing your Chopped Cheese, and you can do it at home as well! Season the ground burger with your favorite spicy seasonings, or use spicy condiments to finish the sandwich.
CHOPPED CHEESE VS. CHEESESTEAK
The primary distinction between a Chopped Cheese and a Cheesesteak is the meat cut. In some ways, a Chopped Cheese is similar to a Burger combined with a Cheesesteak. A Cheesesteak is made up of thinly sliced beef, but the flesh in a Diced Cheese is finely chopped. Provolone cheese or Cheese Whiz are also commonly used in cheesesteaks.
Health Benefits of Chopped Cheese Sandwiches
We’ve all experienced how addicting and delectable a chopped cheese sandwich can be. But did you know they’re also vegan, low-fat, high-protein, high-fiber, and gluten-free? They are an excellent choice for anyone attempting to live a healthier lifestyle.
Chopped cheese sandwiches have grown in popularity in recent years. They are currently one of the top five most searched for foods on Pinterest, according to the Wall Street Journal. This is due to the fact that they are healthier than typical cheeseburgers while being equally delicious.
How to Store Your Leftover Chopped Cheese Sandwiches?
Inside this post, we’ll look at how to store leftover chopped cheese sandwiches and try to answer the question, “What’s the best method to preserve them?”
The first thing you should know is that there are three kinds of containers: metal foil, plastic, and glass. Metal foil and plastic containers cannot be heated in microwaves, so use a glass container if you wish to heat up your sandwich. If you don’t frequently microwave, there’s an advantage to using a metal or plastic container.
Both plastic and metal containers have advantages and disadvantages. Plastic is often less expensive, but it is more difficult to recycle and more readily broken. Metal containers are typically more expensive, but they will last longer and can be recycled.Print
Frequently Asked Questions
What cheese is on a chopped cheese?
In their chopped cheese sandwiches, most bodegas in NYC use American cheese. It’s the ideal option because it melts better than other types of cheese. Other cheeses, like as Cheez Whiz or provolone, can be used instead. This dish can also be made with mozzarella.
What is the difference between a cheesesteak and a chopped cheese?
“The chopped cheese is definitely a drug dealer sandwich,” claims rapper Bodega Bamz, who was born in Harlem. “Unlike the Philly cheesesteak, which is more of a trademark, it hasn’t really [spread its wings] yet.” … If you ask a random group of New Yorkers about the chopped cheese, you’re going to get a lot of blank faces.
More Chopped Cheese Sandwiches recipes to try
Spicy Chopped Cheese Sandwich
The chopped cheese sandwich originated in New York City. It is not spicy and is traditionally made on a flat top grill. I do not have a flat top and also wanted to incorporate some heat so here is my not so traditional version.
Authentic Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe
My favorite sandwich as a kid was the Chopped Cheese Sandwich. Whenever my mother made something I didn’t like, I told her to make Chopped Cheese Sandwich instead; it was a type of nice memory for me.
Now that I am an adult, I miss the things I used to do as a child to upset my mother, and while I was thinking about what I used to do, an idea came to mind to reminisce my youth.