You’ll enjoy these Crispy Corn Nuggets if you like corn fritters. Simply combine fresh or canned corn with a few pantry basics to make a fast batter, then fry to golden perfection.
This fried crispy corn nugget recipe from the South is great as an appetizer, dessert, or side dish.
They’re delicious as a dessert or as a savory side dish. For a sweet version, drizzle with honey or maple syrup; for a salty one, add a splash of salt or other sauces.
WHAT ARE NUGGETS
Nuggets are a very popular fast food. It is a small piece or chunk of meat or any veggies that are deep-fried or baked. It’s mostly deep-fried in the fast-food joints. But the baked or air-fried version of nuggets is getting popular lately.
WHAT ARE CORN NUGGETS?
Crispy Corn nuggets are a version of the popular corn fritter that originated in the southern United States. The inspiration for the dish is thought to have come from Native American dishes that included corn as a key ingredient. Corn nuggets are crispier than corn fritters since they are deep-fried.
Alternative Video Recipe: Extra Crispy Corn Fritters
- Easy Crispy Air Fryer Corn Dogs From Scratch  (Simple Recipe)
- Healthy Air Fryer Popcorn Recipe [Oil Free]
- Crunchy Cheese Popcorn Recipe (Best Snack!)
WHAT ARE CRISPY CORN NUGGETS MADE OF?
- Corn Kernels: Fresh, canned, or frozen corn kernels can be used. Before combining, make sure the frozen kernels have thawed.
- This recipe can be made with regular all-purpose flour.
- Yellow Cornmeal: For a smooth texture, use fine or medium grind cornmeal.
- For this recipe, use normal granulated sugar.
- Baking powder aids in the lightening and puffing of corn nuggets when deep fried.
- You can use any type of salt in this recipe
- Eggs: They aid in the blending of all the ingredients.
- To make this dish, use unsalted butter. Before mixing in the melted butter, make sure it has cooled slightly.
- To get a creamier texture, use whole milk. You can also use buttermilk in place of the yogurt.
- Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil has a high smoke point, therefore use it for this recipe.
- Optional sprinkling with powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE CORN NUGGETS FROM SCRATCH
- In a large mixing basin, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
- Toss the flour mixture with the egg mixture. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Mix in the corn until everything is fully mixed.
- In a medium-sized pot, pour 2 inches of oil. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Scoop up 1 tablespoon of batter and drop it into the oil once it’s heated.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping halfway through to ensure even cooking of the nuggets.
- Transfer the corn nuggets to a paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon. Continue with the remaining batter.
- Powdered sugar can be used as a finishing touch. Serve and have fun!
- Before adding the corn kernels with the batter, make sure they are completely thawed. Otherwise, the inside will not be fully cooked.
- Allow the melted butter to cool slightly before adding the egg and milk to it.
- Cook in batches rather than overcrowding the pan when frying.
- Maintain a temperature of 300-350 degrees Fahrenheit in the oil. If the oil temperature is too high, the outside may burn before the inside is fully cooked.
- To make frying easier, use one spoon to scoop out the batter and another spoon to put the batter into the oil.
HOW TO SERVE THESE CORN BITES
- Dust with icing sugar and drizzle with honey or syrup as a dessert.
- They can also be served with a variety of dips, ranging from spicy sauce to roasted garlic and parsley sauce, as a savory appetizer or side dish.
WHERE TO BUY CORN NUGGETS?
Corn nuggets are premade, frozen corn nuggets that can be found in your local grocery shop.
HOW LONG DO YOU AIR FRY FROZEN CORN NUGGETS?
If you buy pre-made corn nuggets, cook them for 10-15 minutes in an air fryer at 400°F. You can also freeze prepared nuggets for 3–4 hours before airfrying them when you’re ready.Print
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you keep fritters crispy?
When creating the batter for your fritters, using cold water can help keep them crispy. The fritters will not absorb too much oil because the batter is cold, keeping them light and crispy.
Why are my corn fritters falling apart?
Keep the amount of flour in your fritters to a minimum, but not so little that they break apart. Flour of some kind is required to act as the “glue” that holds ingredients together. … Polenta or corn meal can be used with wheat flour to make a crisp fritter.
Does cornstarch make things crispy?
Cornstarch is a “very, very durable starch,” according to Talde, and it’s great for making crispy, lacy food crusts. To get the cornstarch to attach to your protein, make sure it’s been marinated or otherwise hydrated, and then have fun trying
Does baking powder make things crispy?
What Is the Purpose of Baking Powder? … Baking powder is a leavening agent that is commonly used in baked goods such as cookies and cakes. It is not to be confused with baking soda. Sodium bicarbonate, cream of tartar, and cornstarch are the main ingredients. When combined with salt and applied on chicken, the skin dries up and becomes crisp and crispy.
How do you bake frozen corn nuggets?
Deep Fry: Heat the oil to 350°F and fry the frozen food for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Preheat the oven to 400°F in a conventional oven. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until golden brown, on a cookie sheet. After 6 minutes, turn.
More Corn Nuggets recipes to try:
How to Make Corn Nuggets (Easy & Delicious!)
This deep-fried, golden brown corn snack, also known as corn nuggets or corn fritters, is one of our all-time faves! In this recipe, I’ll show you how to create corn nuggets — it only takes a few basic ingredients and is quite simple to make!
I tasted corn nuggets for the first time at the Texas State Fair a few years ago. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to learn how to make corn nuggets so I could enjoy them at home as well!
Texas Corn Nuggets
Aside from the fantastic people, one of our favorite aspects of a get-together is sampling all of the delicious dishes that everyone brings to the gathering! We love a nice casserole – anything creamy and cheesy is always welcome – but when there’s a large group of people looking to socialize and catch up, finger food is the way to go.
That’s why we’re constantly experimenting with new recipes and discovering what needs to be tweaked to get it just right…which is exactly what occurred with these Texas corn nuggets!