Crispy shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber are wrapped in seasoned rice and nori seaweed sheets to make Godzilla Roll Sushi. For added taste, sprinkle with soy sauce or spicy mayonnaise.
FREE Get Yours Today!
3 Secrets to Ease Your Cooking
This popular Japanese shrimp tempura roll dish is simple to make at home, so skip the restaurant and make some at home!
I adore Japanese rolls, but they’re prohibitively pricey when eaten out. You’ll be astonished at how simple they are to prepare at home. In this recipe, you will learn how to make sushi rice and how to roll the sushi.
The favorite sushi rolls to prepare are these Shrimp Tempura Rolls, commonly known as Godzilla Rolls. They’re essentially a mash-up of several other rolls that I enjoy at sushi places but can prepare at home for a fraction of the price. In fact, for the price of one at a restaurant, you can prepare roughly ten of these at home! I understand that this isn’t a “family rotation” meal for any of you, but if you have an upcoming anniversary or just want to try something new, this is a terrific option! The spicy mayo poured on top is fantastic. YUM.
FRIED SHRIMP TEMPURA ROLL
Godzilla roll is another name for this fried shrimp tempura roll. These buns from our favorite Japanese restaurant are one of my favorites. However, making them at home is significantly less expensive.
This dish is suitable for any special occasion. Fortunately, making this roll at home is not difficult. Sushi rice with a rice vinegar flavor complements the crispy shrimp tempura, cucumber, and creamy cheese well. Every time I make it at home, I eat the entire roll by myself since it is so good.
NO RAW FISH IN THIS SUSHI
I’m not frightened to prepare these Shrimp Tempura Rolls at home because they don’t contain any raw fish. I will only eat raw fish if I am dining in a reputable establishment, and I am a finicky eater when it comes to raw seafood.
I won’t prepare anything unless I know I’ll be able to get it from the ocean to my kitchen in less than 12 hours, which, as you can imagine, doesn’t happen very frequently with me living in BOISE. There’s no need to be concerned because the shrimp in these Godzilla Rolls is thoroughly cooked.
Alternative Video Recipe: Godzilla Sushi Rolls
- Best Dynamite Roll Sushi Recipe Here
- Easy Alaska Roll Sushi Recipe (Light and Tasty)
- Easy Eel Avocado Roll Recipe [30-Minutes!]
WHAT’S IN A GODZILLA ROLL?
- Godzilla roll is a form of sushi that is rolled. The major ingredient is shrimp tempura, which gives the roll a crispy texture. Shrimp tempura is folded into a roll with crab sticks, cucumber (or avocado), and cream cheese and cooked till crispy.
- At first appearance, the recipe appears to be difficult. It is, however, really simple. All you need to know is how to roll sushi rolls.
- You can save time by purchasing pre-made shrimp tempura from your local grocery store’s freezer area. You can use cooked shrimp instead of tempura shrimp if you don’t like shrimp tempura. In any case, the roll will be excellent!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Shrimp Tempura: This is the most important ingredient in this dish. I like to buy pre-cooked tempura shrimp in a package to save time. They can be found in the frozen department of your local grocer. You can also make your own tempura batter, put the shrimp in it, then deep fry them till golden brown.
- Avocado: If you squeeze an overripe avocado, it will become mushy. Look for avocados with dark skin that give to light pressure when pressed.
- Cucumber: If using an American cucumber, remove the seeds first because they contain too much water.
- Sushi Rice: For the greatest results, use high-quality Japanese short-grain rice.
- Sushi Vinegar is used to season sushi rice. If you don’t have sushi vinegar, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Nori Sheet: Look for seaweed sheets with a little green tinge and a black color. They should all be the same thickness and be free of holes. When folding in half, the fresh ones are crisp and simple to break.
For simple rolling, you’ll also need a Sushi Rolling Bamboo Mat. This recipe is quite adaptable, and you can add other items to the filling, such as cream cheese. Soy sauce, masago, or spicy mayo can be used as a topping.
WHERE CAN I BUY SHRIMP TEMPURA FOR GODZILLA ROLL SUSHI?
These shrimp tempura can be obtained pre-made in the freezer area of your local grocery store, saving you time.
If you don’t want to use shrimp tempura, you can substitute cooked shrimp instead; the Godzilla roll will still be excellent!
HOW MANY SUSHI ROLLS SHOULD I EAT?
- According to a certified dietitian, healthy persons can comfortably have 2 to 3 sushi rolls each week, which translates to 10 to 15 pieces of sushi.
- For the elderly, pregnant women, and others with a damaged digestive system, however, these numbers on the amount each week are different.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GODZILLA ROLL SUSHI?
COOK SUSHI RICE
It’s critical to use high-quality short-grain rice for this recipe. When compared to normal rice, you’ll require less water. A 1:1 water-to-rice ratio is ideal. Transfer the boiling rice to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Stir in the sushi vinegar while it’s still hot (or the mixture of rice vinegar, sugar, and salt).
MAKE GODZILLA SHRIMP TEMPURA ROLL
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of your bamboo mat. Then, using kitchen scissors, cut off 1/3 of the nori seaweed sheet.
- Place the remaining nori sheet, shiny side down, near the bottom of the mat.
- Spread 3/4 cup cooked rice evenly over nori, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top of the sheet. Spread the rice in a thin layer on the baking sheet. If you use too much pressure, the rice will become mushy.
- Top the rice with shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber slices. Then, using your thumbs, raise the edge of the bamboo mat up and over the filling.
- Press the rice and filling together by rolling the bamboo mat away from you. Continue to roll until the ends touch.
- Cut the sushi roll into eight pieces with a sharp knife. Serve and enjoy right away.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT GODZILLA SUSHI
- To keep the rice from sticking to your hands, soak your hands in Tezu water before handling it. Made with 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, it’s a hand dipping liquid.
- To keep sushi rolls from breaking apart, gently but firmly squeeze the roll when rolling it. After you’ve finished, place the bamboo mat on top of the sushi roll and gently crush it again.
What is Godzilla Roll?
Godzilla Roll, also known as Shrimp Tempura Roll, is a type of rolled sushi produced by rolling shrimp tempura and other toppings in nori seaweed sheets and seasoned rice. Shrimp tempura is the main component, and it lends a great flavor and crisp texture to the dish.
What is a Godzilla roll Sushi made of?
Crispy shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber are wrapped in nori seaweed sheets and seasoned rice in Godzilla Rolls. Then, for added flavor, sprinkle it with soy sauce or spicy mayonnaise.
What is a dragon roll made of?
The festive dragon roll is a delicious uramaki sushi roll with avocado, unagi, and tempura shrimp. This inside-out sushi roll, shaped like a dragon, is normally filled with eel and cucumber, with slices of avocado resembling the dragon’s scales.
Is Godzilla Roll Cooked Sushi?
Yes, there’s no raw fish in this recipe. Shrimp are fully cooked and then rolled with other vegetables.
What is the crunchy stuff on sushi?
Panko, often known as Japanese breadcrumbs, is the brownish crunchy flakes on top of your sushi. In Japanese, ‘pan’ signifies bread, while ‘ko’ indicates flour. It isn’t, however, composed of ordinary white toasted bread. Panko, on the other hand, is made from bread that has been baked with an electric current.
More Recipes to try!
Shrimp Maki Sushi Roll
Sushi Night, dubbed “the best night ever” by urban foodies, is now a “thing” – and what a gorgeous thing it is. However, arranging reservations, squeezing past a throng of hungry maki-munchers, and receiving an expensive bill at the end of it all can detract from an otherwise fantastic experience.
With this simple and tasty Shrimp Maki, you’ll learn how to make restaurant-quality sushi rolls at home. In a compact seaweed wrap with all the dipping accoutrements, plump shrimp blend with cream cheese, chives, cucumber, and sushi rice.
Tuna Sushi Roll
Tuna rolls can be prepared in a variety of ways. There are varieties where the nori covers the entire roll, and others where the nori stays inside the roll, similar to California roll.