Crispy shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber are wrapped in seasoned rice and nori seaweed sheets to make Godzilla Roll Sushi. For added taste, sprinkle with soy sauce or spicy mayonnaise.
For Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice short-grain sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sushi vinegar (or mix 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt )
For Godzilla Roll
- 6 oz pre-cooked shrimp tempura (about 8 pieces)
- ½ cucumber cut into thin slices
- 1 avocado cut into thin slices
- 2 sheets nori seaweed
Optional for Serving:
- spicy mayo
- soy sauce
How to Make Sushi Rice:
- In a rice cooker, combine the washed rice and water. Cook as directed on the package.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let aside to cool slightly. Mix in the sushi vinegar while it’s still hot (or the mixture of rice vinegar, sugar and salt).
To make Godzilla rolls, follow these instructions.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of your bamboo mat. (This will keep your mat from becoming soiled.)
- Using kitchen scissors, cut off 1/3 of the nori seaweed sheet.
- Place the remaining nori sheet, shiny side down, near the bottom of the mat.
- Spread 3/4 cup cooked rice evenly over nori, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top of the sheet. (Before giving the rice, dip your hands in Tezu water*.)
- Spread the rice in a thin layer on the baking sheet. If you use too much pressure, the rice will become mushy.
- Top the rice with shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber slices.
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat up and over the filling with your thumbs. Press the rice and filling together by rolling the bamboo mat away from you. Continue to roll until the ends touch.
- Cut the sushi roll into eight pieces with a sharp knife. Serve and enjoy right away.
- *To make Tezu water, combine 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoon rice vinegar in a small bowl.
- Why is my sushi roll disintegrating? This could be due to using the wrong sort of rice or not squeezing the rolls hard enough. While rolling, you must tuck in and pull the bamboo mat.
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 24
- Calories: 50kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 57mg
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
Keywords: Godzilla Roll, Godzilla Roll Sushi, Shrimp Tempura Roll