Pizza with anchovies? It’s a traditional flavor combination that’s unbelievably delicious! Here’s how to create an anchovy pizza in the Italian style.
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- ⅓ cup Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 to 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 6 anchovy fillets from a jar or can
- 8 Kalamata olives
- 1 handful thinly sliced red onion
- Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, for grating
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peel
- Make the pizza dough: To make the dough, use the Best Pizza Dough recipe. (This takes approximately 15 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Preheat the oven to 500°F with a pizza stone. Alternatively, preheat your pizza oven (here’s the one we use).
- Make the pizza sauce: Follow the recipe for the 5 Minute Pizza Sauce.
- Make the toppings: If using fresh mozzarella cheese, cut it into 14-inch-thick slices (see the photo). If the fresh mozzarella is extremely watery (all brands differ), you may want to let it sit for about 15 minutes on a paper towel to reduce moisture before dabbing the mozzarella with the paper towel to remove any further moisture.
- Red onion, thinly sliced.
- When the oven is hot enough, coat a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet; nevertheless, a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; for directions, see How to Stretch Pizza Dough. Then, carefully transfer the dough to the pizza peel.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough in a thin layer with the back of a spoon. Combine the mozzarella cheese, anchovy fillets, Kalamata olives, and red onion in a mixing bowl. Add a thin layer of grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese on top.
- Transfer the pizza to the hot pizza stone using the pizza peel. Bake the pizza for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cheese and dough are well browned (or 1 minute in a pizza oven). Serve immediately after slicing into pieces.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 108kcal
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 179g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 83g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
Keywords: homemade anchovy pizza, anchovy pizza recipe, easy christmas dinner ideas, christmas dinner recipes