This is the earliest recorded mention of the dish we now call “meatloaf.”
- 2 teaspoon of canola oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 baby bell peppers, finely diced
- 3 button mushrooms, finely diced
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a loaf with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour the olive oil into a skillet and set it over medium heat to heat.
Then, in the same skillet, add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms.
Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes, or until it becomes tender, stirring frequently.
Then add the minced garlic and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute.
Finally, take the skillet from the heat and set it aside to cool.
Along with the onion combination, add all of the ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, eggs, basil, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, and balsamic vinegar.
To taste, add sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to the mixture.
Start gently blending the mixture with your fingertips until it is uniformly mixed, but be careful not to overmix it.
Fill the loaf pan halfway with the mixture and spread the marinara sauce evenly over the top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 276 kcal
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 629mg
- Fat: 80.1
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
Keywords: Gordon Ramsay Meatloaf Recipe