This recipe for Guinness Chocolate Cake calls for both chocolate and alcohol. There are few things better than that. A simple, delicious, and fudgy chocolate cake made with Guinness beer and thick, sweet, and creamy Irish cream buttercream is what is known as Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Buttercream. The ideal cake for St. Patrick’s Day!
For the Guinness Chocolate cake:
- 1 3/4 cups (222 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (64 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) sour cream or plain full fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Guinness beer
For the Irish Buttercream:
- 4 sticks (454 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 cups (750 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Irish cream, such as Bailey’s
For the chocolate drip:
- 4 ounces (113 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- sprinkles for topping, optional
Produce the cake:
- The oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Two 8-inch by 3-inch cake pans should be generously greased and lined with parchment paper circles.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a sizable mixing dish.
- Whisk the sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and beer in a medium basin
- Add the wet components to the dry ingredients when just blended and stir with a spatula.
- Bake the batter for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean, after dividing it between the prepared pans. The cakes should cool for 30 minutes in their pans before being carefully flipped onto a wire rack to finish cooling. While you make the buttercream if at all possible, freeze the cakes.
- Use an electric or hand mixer to beat the butter in a big bowl until it’s light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and Irish cream one at a time. For about three minutes, beat the ingredients at high speed until it is incredibly smooth, light, and fluffy. Increase the amount of Irish cream in the frosting if it is too thick. Increase the amount of powdered sugar if it’s too thin.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 10-12 slices
- Calories: 513 kcal
- Sugar: 48g
- Sodium: 423mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 69g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
Keywords: Chocolate Cake, Butter Cream, Cake