Philadelphia rolls are made by rolling sushi rice and nori seaweed sheet around smoked salmon, cream cheese, and cucumber filling. This recipe teaches you how to make rice, roll sushi, and create delectable and creamy Philly roll sushi.
For Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice (short grain sushi rice works the best)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons optional sushi vinegar (or mixing 1 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For Philadelphia Roll
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 4 oz cream cheese (cut into ½-inch strips)
- 1/2 cucumber (cut into ½-inch strips)
- 2 sheets nori (seaweed sheet)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (you can toast it in a hot skillet for a few minutes for extra flavor)
- Rinse the rice, then add it to the rice cooker with some water to make sushi rice. Transfer the cooked food to a sizable bowl and allow it to cool somewhat. Stir in the sushi vinegar while it’s still very heated (or the mixture of rice vinegar, sugar and salt).
- Prepare the Philadelphia Sushi Roll by spreading the bamboo mat out and covering it with plastic wrap (this will prevent rice from sticking to the bamboo).
- On top of the mat, place half of the nori sheet.
- Take around 3/4 cup of the cooked rice and dip your hands in vinegar water (this will stop the rice from sticking to your hands). distributed evenly over nori.
- The rice should now be face down.
- Strips of smoked salmon should be 1/2 inch wide.
- On top of the nori, arrange the smoked salmon, cream cheese, and cucumber.
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat up and over the filling by placing the thumbs underneath.
- Apply pressure to the bamboo mat to tighten it up as you roll it away from you. Roll on until the ends converge.
- After removing the bamboo mat, sprinkle sesame seeds over the roll.
- Divide each roll into eight pieces. Dispense and savor!
- Category: main course, Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 32
- Calories: 318kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 321mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
Keywords: Philadelphia Roll, Philadelphia Roll Sushi, Philly Roll