For those who enjoy sushi, Shaggy Dog Sushi is a popular choice. This role is perfect for pregnant ladies or people who don’t enjoy raw sushi because it is crispy, spicy, and free of raw fish. You can create your shaggy dog roll at home with a little effort.
For the Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice (uncooked short-grain sushi rice)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons optional sushi vinegar (or mixing one tablespoon of rice vinegar, and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar)
Fillings & Wrapping
- Two sheets of nori (seaweed sheet)
- Four pre-cooked tempura shrimp
- One avocado sliced
- Four sticks of imitation crab
- 4–6 sticks of imitation crab
- Teriyaki sauce
- Spicy mayo
- Optional sesame seeds and green onions
Cook Sushi Rice
- Rice cooker with water and rinsed rice added. Transfer the cooked food to a sizable bowl and allow it to cool somewhat. Add the sushi vinegar while it’s still very heated.
Make Shaggy Dog Rolls
- Place a plastic wrap on the bamboo mat and spread it out.
- Use some scissors to cut the nori sheet into two sections.
- With the shiny side facing down, place half the nori sheet on top of the bamboo mat.
- Evenly distribute 3/4 cup of cooked rice across the nori sheet by hand. (To avoid sticking, dip your hands into some tezu water.)
- Turn everything over so that the rice is facing up.
- On top of the nori, place one imitation crab, a few avocado slices, and one tempura shrimp.
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat up and over the filling by placing the thumbs underneath.
- Apply pressure to the bamboo mat to tighten it up as you roll it away from you. Roll on until the ends converge.
- Remove the plastic wrap and mat.
Add the Topping
- Put the crab sticks on a platter that can go in the microwave. For around 30 minutes, heat.
- Cut the crab sticks horizontally after transferring them to a cutting board. After that, flatten them.
- On top of the roll, spread out the crab meat. Place the bamboo mat on top, cover with plastic wrap, and then continue. Gently squeeze.
- Remove the plastic wrap and mat. The roll should then be cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add teriyaki sauce and hot mayonnaise. Add optional green onions and sesame seeds as garnish. Enjoy after serving.
- Tezu water is made by combining 1/4 cup water with 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- You must squeeze the rice and contents when rolling to keep sushi rolls from disintegrating. Once you’re done, give the roll a final gentle squeeze.
- Category: main course, Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 635kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 644mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 104g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
Keywords: crab, healthy, Japanese, krab, rice, seafood, shrimp, sushi