This is a classic BBQ chicken pizza recipe made with tangy BBQ sauce, chicken, and red onion. Gouda cheese adds a delicious smoky flavor to the homemade pizza, and cilantro adds a touch of freshness.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust
- 1–2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken (about one 8-ounce breast)
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- optional: chopped fresh cilantro for topping
- Prepare the pizza dough, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C). Cover the shaped dough lightly with plastic wrap and set aside while the oven heats up.
- Brush the shaped dough lightly with olive oil to prevent the pizza toppings from making your pizza crust soggy. To prevent bubbling, make dents in the surface of the dough with your fingers. Distribute 1/3 cup BBQ sauce evenly over the dough. Toss the cooked chicken with the remaining BBQ sauce and distribute it evenly on the pizza. Combine the cheeses and red onion in a mixing bowl.
- Pizza should be baked for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and, if desired, garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately after slicing hot pizza.
- Refrigerate leftover pizza by tightly wrapping it in plastic wrap. Reheat as desired. Baked pizza slices can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Instructions for freezing pizza dough can be found in the pizza crust recipe.
If you don’t use instant yeast, the rise time can be up to 40% longer.
If you don’t have smoked gouda, use the same amount of shredded mozzarella instead. If desired, leave out the onion and/or cilantro.
- Category: Pizza
- Serving Size: One 12-inch Pizza
- Calories: 385kcal
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 1666mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
Keywords: Bbq pizza, chicken bbq pizza, bbq chicken pizza recipe, pizza recipe