BBQ sauce, shredded chicken, mozzarella, red onion, and cilantro top this BBQ chicken pizza. It’s full of flavor and ready in 30 minutes!
Do you enjoy pizza as much as I do? We make homemade pizza almost every weekend and enjoy experimenting with different variations.
FREE Get Yours Today!
3 Secrets to Ease Your Cooking
This BBQ chicken pizza is a fan favorite, as is the garlic ranch chicken pizza.
BBQ chicken pizza is a huge hit with my family. My mother is the one who got us all hooked to blame. And who knew it was so simple to make?!
It only requires 5 ingredients and can be prepared in 30 minutes. The crust becomes extremely crispy, and the flavors are incredible.
This is a recipe that you will want to make again and again.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS?
- The dough is simple to make and comes together quickly. If you’re short on time, store-bought dough can be substituted.
- This pizza is ideal for using up leftover chicken.
- Freshly grated cheese melts evenly and is smooth and creamy.
Alternative Version: Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza Video
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Pizza crust: I prefer my homemade pizza crust. It’s simple to make and tastes so much better than store bought.
- Barbecue sauce: Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce is my absolute favorite. It works so well with the pizza. But honestly, any brand/flavor you prefer will work.
- Chicken: Boil chicken breast and shred it or use a leftover rotisserie. Just avoid adding raw chicken to the pizza; it won’t cook through before the pizza is done.
- Onion: It is completely optional. Leave it off, use red onion instead of white, or even use a sweet onion even.
- Mozzarella: Freshly shredded mozzarella is going to work best for pizza. It melts creamier and tastes best.
- Cilantro: Adds a bit of freshness and pop of color to the pizza. It’s only meant to be a garnish and is completely optional.
HOMEMADE PIZZA DOUGH
Let’s talk about making your own pizza crust. I make this pizza dough at least once a week for a variety of reasons, including:
- The recipe is ideal for those who are new to baking bread.
- There are only 6 ingredients needed.
- The majority of the time is hands-off.
- Crispy exterior and fluffy interior
- Flavorful, flavorful, flavorful.
It’s simply the best homemade pizza crust you’ve ever had. I make my pizza dough with Red Star Platinum because it yields the best results.
The Platinum line is fantastic; its precise formula strengthens your dough and simplifies working with yeast.
If you’re new to baking bread, this is fantastic! I only use enough yeast to get the job done for this pizza dough.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA?
- Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce over the pizza crust dough. (Before adding toppings, I pre-bake my homemade pizza dough for 6 minutes.)
- In a bowl, combine cooked, shredded chicken and bbq sauce.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, sliced red onion, and shredded rotisserie chicken should be sprinkled on top of the pizza.
- Sprinkle it with cilantro and the remaining cup of cheese, to taste.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the toppings are bubbly.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE CHICKEN?
Sure! If you don’t like chicken, you can use a can of black beans (mixed with the spices and sauce listed for the chicken) or even shrimp instead.
If you like chicken but don’t want to cook it from scratch, use pre-cooked chicken.
If you’re using rotisserie chicken, simply chop it up and mix it with the BBQ sauce. If you’re using canned chicken breast, simply drain it and gently fold it into the BBQ sauce.
WHAT KIND OF PIZZA DOUGH SHOULD I USE?
For BBQ Chicken Pizza, you can literally use any type of pizza dough or crust you want.
I used my traditional Homemade Pizza Dough, but it would also work well on a Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust, French Bread, a baked tortilla, or your favorite gluten-free or cauliflower crust from the store.
The toppings listed below will suffice for a 14-16 inch pizza crust.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU PUT ON A BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA?
This is where things get interesting. Other toppings I’ve enjoyed on my BBQ Chicken Pizzas over the years include:
- Feta (surprisingly delicious against that sweet BBQ sauce)
- Green onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Ranch dressing
- Black Beans
STORING & FREEZING:
- To Store: Tightly wrap the baked and cooled pizza in plastic wrap. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days. Before serving, reheat the dish.
- To Freeze: Baked and cooled pizza slices can be tightly wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.
- Spread the BBQ sauce with the back of a spoon. It’s easiest to start spreading in circles from the center.
- Don’t go overboard with the sauce! With no sauce, leave about 1/2 to 1 inch bare.
- This is easily transformed into a BBQ chicken ranch pizza. Simply combine the ranch with the BBQ sauce and chicken.
- It is best to reheat in the oven or toaster oven. The crust maintains its crispness!
- Make sure to weigh the flour when making my homemade pizza dough.
- Never use raw chicken! Pizzas cook quickly, and raw chicken may not fully cook through in that time.
- To add flavor, toss the shredded chicken in BBQ sauce. Please see the recipe notes.
- Use red onions if you want a spicier onion flavor. Use sweet or yellow onion for a mild flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is BBQ Chicken pizza made of?
A spicy barbeque sauce topping, diced chicken, cilantro, peppers, and onion, all topped with cheese and baked to bubbly perfection! This recipe is similar to one I had at a popular pizza restaurant in California.
Who invented BBQ Chicken pizza?
After extensive research, it was discovered that BBQ chicken Pizza was created in the 1980s by the famous pizza chef Ed LaDou for the menu of California Pizza Kitchen. LaDou was working as a pizza chef for Wolfgang Puck, who was already a well-known chef, at the Spago restaurant in Los Angeles, California.
Is BBQ sauce good on pizza?
Yes, but only if you’re having BBQ pizza. Simply order a large deep-dish pizza from Pizza Hut and ask them to hold the marinara. Drizzle with a good BBQ sauce and top with chopped pulled pork.
Do you cook chicken before putting on pizza?
Yes, without a doubt. The pizza will not cook long enough for the raw chicken on top to cook all the way through. To make 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken for your pizza, roast or grill a chicken breast or a few thighs.