Crispy and Crunchy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips Recipe (Homemade)
Without oil, the best ever super crispy and crunchy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips!
This healthy Mexican recipe only requires three ingredients and a few minutes to prepare! No frying in oil!
Serve with salsa, guacamole, or your preferred dipping sauce. Ideal for game-day snacks or Cinco de Mayo celebrations!
AIR FRYER TORTILLA CHIPS WITHOUT OIL
I used to make tortilla chips by deep-frying them to achieve a crispy texture, but it’s too time-consuming to cook.
It’s so much easier to make in the air fryer, and air frying is the best way to cook tortilla chips or nachos. It allows you to eat healthy without sacrificing texture or flavor.
These tortilla chips have fewer points when cooked in the air fryer, making them ideal for weight watchers.
Air frying produces the crispiest tortilla chips with no oil!
It only requires three ingredients and is an excellent way to use up leftover tortillas. Is it too good to be true?
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Tortillas: Choose from corn, flour, or low-carb flour tortillas. Corn tortillas (white or yellow) work best for me because they get extra crispy in the air fryer. I used small tortillas cut into 6 pieces each. This produces perfect bite-sized chips that are similar to store-bought tortilla chips.
- Salt: Use sea salt or regular table salt to add an irresistibly savory touch.
- Cooking spray has fewer calories than oil and thus is a healthier option. If you don’t have cooking spray, you can use regular olive oil to brush your tortillas.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER TORTILLA CHIPS?
- Begin by spraying each side of your tortillas with cooking spray and seasoning with salt. After that, stack the tortillas.
- Cut them in half, then into three small triangles from each half.
- Spread the tortilla pieces in a single layer in the air fryer basket, overlapping as little as possible. (If your air fryer isn’t large enough, you’ll need to make several batches.)
- For 5 minutes, preheat the air fryer to 350oF. Remove the basket after 3 minutes and gently stir and flip the chips. Return the chips to the air fryer for 2 minutes more, or until golden brown and crispy. If necessary, season with salt once more. You’ll get chips that are super crispy and crunchy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HEALTHIER TORTILLA CHIPS?
- With this recipe for loaded vegetarian nachos, you can serve them nacho style.
- Scoop up this creamy dairy-free queso with them.
- For the ultimate healthy snack, pair them with a white bean dip or a red pepper cashew dip.
- Serve as a garnish for soups, such as this chicken fajita soup.
- With a side of yogurt or a dessert dip, serve the maple cinnamon chips.
- Flavors: I like plain salted tortilla chips, but you can easily add flavors like lime, nacho cheese, or cinnamon sugar.
- Tortillas: As previously stated, corn, flour, or low-carb tortillas can be used. Corn tortillas, in my opinion, produce the crispiest chips and are therefore my favorite. Low-carb tortilla chips do not taste as good as corn or flour tortilla chips, but they are ideal for dieters.
- Dipping suggestions: These tortilla chips go great with a variety of dips. Guacamole, salsa, spinach artichoke dip, pico de gallo, and hummus are some of my favorite dipping options.
STORING & REHEATING
Any leftovers can be stored in a sealed plastic bag for up to a week and will stay fresh.
f desired, heat them in your air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) before serving stored chips.
I prefer these tortilla chips straight from the air fryer, but if you end up eating too many, save some for later!
PRO TIPS FOR THE BEST AIR FRYER TORTILLA CHIPS
- For this recipe, I recommend using corn tortillas. They have a much crisper texture than flour tortillas.
- Try not to overcrowd the basket. If you want the chips to be super crispy, arrange them in a single layer.
- The cooking time depends on the brand and size of the tortilla. I prefer my chips crisper, so I cook them for about 5 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. To avoid overcooking, check after 4 minutes of air frying and add more time if necessary. It’s also worth noting that the chips will crisp up even more as they cool. (Yellow corn tortillas may require more time to cook.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best tortilla to use for air frying tortillas?
While I didn’t test many different brands, the yellow corn tortillas produced the crispiest chip when compared to white corn and flour tortillas.
Can you make these air fryer tortilla chips with flour tortillas instead of corn?
Yes, but I prefer corn tortillas because they produce crisper chips. When I tested flour tortilla chips, they were chewy rather than crispy, and they air fried in 4-5 minutes. They did, in fact, burn quickly. Keep this in mind if you make these chips with flour tortillas.
How long do you air fry tortilla chips?
On 350F, they will take about 7-9 minutes. During my recipe testing, I discovered that white tortillas took a minute or two longer to cook than yellow tortillas. In addition, the maple cinnamon chips were ready in 5-7 minutes. (This is most likely due to the maple syrup and coconut sugar.)
How do you store homemade tortilla chips?
After the chips have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Crunchy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 19 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
The best homemade snack for parties or just for yourself, with only three ingredients and five minutes to prepare!
- 4 8 inch tortillas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (180°C).
- In the meantime, brush both sides of the tortilla with oil and season with salt. Cut the tortillas into triangle, chip-sized pieces, yielding approximately 8 chips per tortilla.
- Carefully place the sliced tortillas in a single layer in the air fryer basket in batches.
- 4 to 5 minutes in a preheated oven. Open the air fryer near the end of the cooking time to check on the chips.
Spicy Lime Tortilla Chips: Brush or spray the tortilla with oil before cooking, then sprinkle with about 1/8 teaspoon taco seasoning per tortilla. Drizzle with fresh lime juice after cooking.
Zesty Ranch Tortilla Chips: Brush or spray the tortilla with oil before cooking and sprinkle with about 1/8 teaspoon ranch seasoning per tortilla.
Sweet Dessert Tortilla Chips: Brush the tortillas with oil, about 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup, and a pinch of cinnamon before cooking.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 162kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 495mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: Tortilla chips, air fryer tortilla chips, air fryer recipe, air fryer tortilla chips recipe, tortillas
Alternative recipes to try:
Click the link below to see the full recipe.
1. How To Make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips?
WHY YOU’LL ALSO ENJOY THIS RECIPE FOR AIR FRYER CHIPS:
Better for you than store-bought
Extremely simple to prepare
There are five flavors to pick from:
- zesty cheese
- salt and vinegar
- spicy chipotle
- chili lime
- maple cinnamon
2. Air Fryer Tortilla Chips Recipe (2 Ingredients)
This recipe for crispy air fryer tortilla chips is simple to create and healthier than store-bought chips. They’re low in fat, gluten-free, and you can use whichever tortillas you choose.
If you prefer crunchy chips, you’ll adore this air fryer tortilla chips recipe. These handmade tortilla chips are a healthier alternative to deep-fried chips and go well with any dipping sauce.
You can produce chips in the air fryer with only two ingredients whenever your mouth craves some crunchy treats. Only tortillas and oil are needed to make these tortilla chips in an air fryer.
3. Crispy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips (Plus Oven Method)
These healthy tortilla chips (taco chips) use a fraction of the oil used in deep-fried versions, and they can be produced from scratch as homemade corn tortilla chips (excellent for leftovers after taco Tuesdays!). or using store-bought tortillas, they are extremely versatile in terms of spices.
The best part is that they allow you to enjoy chips and dips (or a giant bowl of nachos!) in a somewhat healthier way — any excuse to eat extra guacamole is OK with me!
4. BAKED CORN TORTILLA CHIPS RECIPE
Baked Corn Tortilla Chips couldn’t be simpler or more adaptable to make. I like to season them with smoked paprika and cumin, but feel free to experiment. Cayenne pepper can be used to increase the heat, or garlic powder can be used to keep it mild.
While traditional fried tortilla chips are heavy in fat and calories (and oh-so-addictively seductive), my healthier baked version has just over 100 calories per serving.
Baked Corn Tortilla Chips – a nutritious snack recipe
What kind of friend would I be if I shared my pico de gallo recipe without also showing you how to create the crispy chips that accompanied it? Don’t worry — I wouldn’t abandon you like that!