Avocado Rolls Recipe are a vegan take on the classic California Roll. Making your own sushi at home is incredibly satisfying.
It’s not only much cheaper than going out to eat, but it’s also a lot of fun to learn! This creamy and delectable avocado roll recipe requires only a few simple ingredients and is simple to prepare at home.
Avocado is a popular ingredient in many sushi rolls because of its creamy texture and slightly sweet flavor. You can eat an avocado roll plain or add other ingredients to mix flavors.
WHAT IS AVOCADO SUSHI ROLL?
Avocado sushi roll is made up of rice, nori sheets, and avocado slices.
Avocado sushi roll recipes vary greatly; some people add cucumber or boiled carrots, while others use spicy sauces or mayo.
You can make an avocado sushi roll the traditional way by laying the nori sheet and filling it with rice and avocado slices before rolling the nori, or you can make an inside-out sushi roll by putting the rice on the outside and the nori on the inside and wrapping the avocado.
IS AVOCADO SUSHI ROLL HEALTHY?
Avocado rolls are the healthiest sushi recipes because, as you can see, they are made entirely of rice and avocado, and we all know the health benefits of rice and avocado.
Avocado rolls are high in protein and fiber, and they are a good source of potassium, folate, and fiber.
Also aids in the prevention of heart disease and the reduction of blood pressure. Avocado sushi is a vegan recipe that is both healthy and safe.
WHAT IS AVOCADO SUSHI ROLL SUSHI MADE OF?
- Avocado: Because avocado is the main ingredient in this sushi roll recipe, choosing a perfect avocado is essential if you want to make delicious and fresh avocado sushi. To pick an avocado, simply place it in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze it.
- Sushi Rice: Use high-quality short-grain rice and cook it the Japanese way, by steaming rice seasoned with sushi vinegar.
- Nori Seaweed Paper: Nori sheets can be found in the Asian food section of almost any supermarket in the United States or Canada. Alternatively, you can purchase nori sheets from Amazon or Walmart.
- Sesame seeds: Adding black or white sesame seeds to the sushi roll adds texture and serves as a great decoration.
AVOCADO ROLL VS CALIFORNIA ROLL
A California Roll is a type of sushi roll that can be found on the menus of almost any sushi restaurant. The rice is on the outside of the roll, while the other ingredients (avocado, imitation crab, and cucumber) are on the inside.
The Avocado roll is an inside-out roll with only avocado on the inside. Because it contains fewer ingredients, the Avocado roll is a much simpler roll.
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO SUSHI ROLLS?
Other Japanese Food and Sushi Recipes to Try
- Japanese Sweet Shrimp Amaebi Recipe (Tender-Juicy)
- Easy Alaska Roll Sushi Recipe (Light and Tasty)
- Easy Authentic Ajitama Recipe (Ramen Eggs)
- Begin by cooking the rice in a small saucepan or in an instant pot.
- Simmer the rice vinegar, cane sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Once the sugar has been dissolved, pour the mixture into the cooked rice. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Place the nori sheet rough side down on a clean cutting board. Spread the rice evenly on the sheet, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top.
- Place avocado slices in the center of the rice.
- Gently lift the end of the nori sheet (not the 1/2 inch empty side), roll the avocado over, and repeat. To aid in sealing, moisten the end of the nori sheet with a little water. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the nori sheets, rice, and avocado.
- Cut rolls into 6-8 pieces with a sharp knife. Serve with soy sauce or your favorite sushi condiments, cut side down.
AVOCADO ROLL CALORIES:
The Avocado Sushi Roll is a relatively healthy and low-calorie option. It’s a straightforward roll with few ingredients. The total calorie count for the entire roll is slightly more than 400, give or take depending on how much filling is used.
This avocado roll was delicious! It’s also a great way to introduce sushi to children because there’s no raw fish involved.
Have you ever attempted to make sushi at home? If so, please leave a comment with your best advice!
HOW TO ROLL SUSHI PROFESSIONALLY?
Making your first sushi roll may seem intimidating, but with a little practice, you can roll like a pro!
- To make rolling easier and to keep the ingredients from falling out, don’t overfill the roll. Place the nori on your bamboo mat, shiny side down.
- After evenly spreading the rice onto the nori sheet, squeeze the rice to ensure it’s neat and flat. Turn the sheet over so that the rice is facing down, and then add the avocado slices.
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat up and over the filing with your thumbs. Roll the bamboo mat away from you and press down to tighten it. Continue rolling until the two ends meet.
HOW TO PICK AN AVOCADO FOR SUSHI?
Your choice of avocado can make or break your sushi roll. You won’t be able to enjoy the sweet, creamy flavor that avocado is famous for if it isn’t ripe enough.
If the avocado is overripe, it will be soft and mushy, making it difficult to slice neatly. You want an avocado that is ripe but not mushy. Give it a gentle squeeze to find the right one; it should give just slightly.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Look for an avocado that is ripe and creamy, but still firm enough to be sliced neatly. To achieve the best results when rolling, purchase an authentic bamboo sushi mat.
- Using the proper techniques will result in better homemade sushi rolls. To keep the sushi from falling apart, roll it tightly.
- Make a mixture of 14 cup water and two teaspoons of sushi vinegar or rice vinegar to keep the sushi rice from sticking to your hands. To avoid sticking, dip your fingers into the mixture before handling the sushi.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is avocado roll good for you?
Many popular sushi rolls include avocado, often in conjunction with fish and vegetables, but also on their own with the rice (and nori, sushi’s seaweed wrapper). Avocado is high in heart-healthy fats and fiber, as well as a variety of other nutrients. This can improve the performance of your kidneys, heart, and nerves.
How do you wrap an avocado roll?
Arrange avocado slices on top of the sushi, slightly overlapping each slice. Wrap the avocado tightly in saran wrap, gently squeezing to mold it to the roll. Slice the roll into bite-size pieces with a sharpened chef’s knife. Unwrap each piece, then top with toasted sesame seeds and serve!
Is an avocado roll real sushi?
The avocado fruit is unfamiliar in Japan, and few people are aware that it is not commonly used in sushi rolls. Sushi with avocado became popular and widely accepted. Avocado was also used in the creation of other specialty rolls. Avocado is used in the California Roll, another Japanese invention in the United States.
What is avocado sushi called?
A California roll, also known as a California maki, is a makizushi sushi roll with cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado that is usually rolled inside out.