Don’t be fooled by the name! This isn’t a sweet dessert ‘cake.’ Bologna Cake is a flavorful, simple Southern meal that is frequently served as an appetizer or side dish at potlucks and family gatherings.
This interesting dish may have been featured in Sweet Home Alabama. You have to try this bologna cake recipe, whether you’re inquisitive or amused.
WHAT IS BOLOGNA CAKE / BOLONEY CAKE?
This distinctive Southern dish is said to have begun as a joke, but has since proven to be delicious enough to be taken seriously. Simply layering slices of bologna with seasoned cream cheese will result in a structure that resembles a cake. Serve with crackers or bread as a side dish.
WHAT DOES BOLOGNA CAKE TASTE LIKE?
This recipe is surprisingly good for how easy it is. The creamy and salty cream cheese is flavored with onion powder before being coupled with juicy bologna. It’s a great cracker or toast topper.
Alternative Video Recipe: How to make Bologna
- 40 Awesome Birthday Cake Ideas That Will Make Your Day
- 23 Delicious Cakelets Recipes For Your Next Occasion!
- Fluffy Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe  (Quick and Easy)
HOW TO SERVE BOLOGNA CAKE?
This appetizer couldn’t be any easier to prepare! Simply slice a thin slice like you would a regular cake. Spread the cream cheese and a slice of meat on crackers or toast.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Bologna: Use your preferred variety of bologna for this recipe. You can also substitute bologna for another cold-cut deli meat such as salami or ham. Most varieties of thicker sliced deli meat should work for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Make sure to soften your cream cheese before cooking.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder adds flavor to your cream cheese to make the finished product even tastier. You may also use garlic powder or Italian seasoning blend.
- Optional cheese whiz: For decorating.
- Bologna: For this recipe, use your favorite variety of bologna. You can also use another cold-cut deli meat like salami or ham instead of bologna. This recipe should work with most types of thicker-sliced deli meat.
- Cream Cheese: Make sure your cream cheese is softened before cooking.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder enhances the flavor of your cream cheese, making it even more delicious. Garlic powder or an Italian seasoning combination can also be used.
- Cheese whiz (optional): For decoration.
HOW TO MAKE BOLOGNA CAKE
- Combine the room temperature cream cheese and onion powder in a mixing bowl.
- Using paper towels, gently dry one slice of bologna from the package.
- On a dish, place it.
- Then, between each layer, put 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Continue until all of the bologna slices have been used up.
- More cream cheese mixture should be spread on the side of the bologna cake.
- Optional cheese whiz can be used to decorate the cake.
- Make sure cream cheese is soft before mixing: This recipe calls for soft, room-temperature cream cheese. Remember that cream cheese acts as the icing on the bologna cake, therefore it should be soft and smooth to spread evenly.
- Pat dry bologna slices: When taken out of its packaging, deli meat is frequently wet or damp. Use a paper towel to dry the slices for the best results.
- Use an offset spatula:A normal spatula is shorter and thinner than an offset spatula. The form of these baker’s spatulas is great for carefully sculpting cream cheese on your cake.
What is the healthiest Baloney | Bologna to eat?
The greatest is US Wellness Meats’ Beef Bologna, which is a one-pound roll of flavorful grass-fed beef.
This is the healthiest Baloney | Bologna you’ll find anywhere.
because it contains no nitrates, MSG, additives, nitrites, preservatives, soy, dairy, or gluten.
Beef Bologna from US Wellness Meats is ideal for a nutritious snack, light meal, or road trip.
Can I make a healthier version of Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake?
Yes, you can use the above-mentioned US Wellness Meats’ Beef Bologna or simply omit the Baloney and try the substitutes for your Cake listed below.
You may make a “Healthier Baloney | Bologna Cake” by substituting ranch dressing for the Italian dressing and turkey and ham for the bologna.
Instead of using a ranch/cream cheese mixture, use a square pan and “ice” each layer in between where it calls for the Italian dressing instead of a ranch/cream cheese mixture.
That should make it incredibly tasty and allow it to be thinly cut.
What’s the best brand of Boloney | Bologna to use for the cake?
The following are the Best Boloney | Bologna for your cake that you may pick from, with calories calculated per 100 gram:
- Oscar Mayer Thick Cut Bologna 170 Calories
- Oscar Mayer Bologna 200 calories
- Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna 316 Calories
Storing The Cake
If you have any leftover Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake and want to know how to keep them in the fridge or freezer, I’m here to help.
Storing Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake leftovers in the fridge
- A Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake will often only keep fresh for 3-4 days before the moisture is taken out and the texture gets dry.
- To properly preserve your Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, making sure the top, sides, and bottom are all secure.
- Refrigerate your Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake for up to 3-4 days.
Storing Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake in the freezer
- To begin, wrap your Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake leftovers and seal them.
- Next, on a large sheet of aluminum foil, write the sort of cake and the use-by date.
- Wrap the Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake in aluminum foil after that.
- Finally, place the cake in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 1-2 months.
Your Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake will be safe after that time, because the freezer time indicated is only for best quality; a cake that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will be safe indefinitely.
When ready to serve, remove the wrapped Baloney Cake | Bologna Cake from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator one day ahead of time.Print
Frequently Ask Questions
What is bologna cake made of?
This unique Southern dish is rumored to have started as a joke which ended up being tasty enough to be taken seriously. By simply layering slices of bologna with seasoned cream cheese, you’ll create a structure that looks quite a bit like a cake. Serve with crackers or toast.
Is cake a sandwich?
It’s a savory cake that looks like a sandwich but has a lot of filling and garnish, like a tiered cream cake. A smörgstrta is often composed of many layers of white or light rye bread with creamy fillings sandwiched in between. … Smörgstrta is served cold and cut in the shape of a dessert cake.
Is cake a food?
A lovely ass is referred to as a cake in slang. It aids in conveying complicated content in simple terms. The connection is made because of the cakes’ resemblance to a woman’s ass and to avoid using unsuitable language.
What is Cracker bologna?
Mechanically Separated Turkey and Mechanically Separated Chicken, Pork, Water, Corn Syrup, Salt, Contains 2% Or Less Flavorings, Modified Food Starch, Dextrose, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Beef, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Extract Of Paprika
What is a Swedish sandwich cake?
It’s a celebration savoury cake that looks like a sandwich but has a lot of filling and garnish, like a layered cream cake. Swedish Sandwich Cake is typically created with multiple layers of whole wheat or light rye bread sandwiched together with creamy fillings.
More Recipes to try
Grandma’s Pittsburgh Fried Bologna Sandwich
Some days, I miss certain family members more than usual. Growing up, I was quite close to my grandmother. She was the only grandmother I knew, and I spent every Saturday with her for the longest time. She’d pick me up and drive me to her neighborhood drugstore.
She’d play her’numbers,’ and then we’d go to the rear of the drugstore, where they served meals. It wasn’t perfect, but it was time with Grandma. It was “our” special occasion. My Grandma, on the other hand, was seriously rockin’ cool.
Sweet Home Alabama Bologna Cake Recipes
After watching the movie,Sweet Home Alabama, it got me curious as to what a Bologna Cake was. Being as Im from the south i thought it was my duty to b up to speed on all southern cooking. :0) This is not my recipe and will not take credit for it.