Amazing Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Hasselback sweet potatoes are incredibly adaptable and may be used as a side dish or the main course on their own.
This is one of the most significant ways to roast or bake a sweet potato, aside from Crispy Wedges. It is crispy on the outside and fork-tender inside.
Use a technique I’ve been practicing for years to cut the typical baking time in half; top them with this Easy Garlic Butter, and be ready for your sweet potato life to change.
They were changed from the ordinary into something extraordinary by modifying our Garlic Butter recipe, especially for these sweet potatoes with some more added herbs and a dash of lemon.
With Hasselback sweet potatoes, the sole labor-intensive step is cutting them into roughly equal slices while attempting to avoid cutting through directly into the cutting board. The rest is straightforward.
They taste better than they look and go with anything. They also look amazing on the plate. For example, in a salad, on their own, with chicken, beef, or seafood.
Hasselback sweet potatoes typically take an hour or slightly longer to bake (depending on ovens and temperatures). Still, because I never seem to have enough room in my oven for an extra tray or the additional time, I microwave them instead, cutting the roasting time in half. Because I was already roasting this Crispy Beer Roast Turkey, I decided to employ my go-to shortcut for these potatoes and share it in time for Christmas dish preparation.
The recipe does offer the full oven-cooked version if you’re unwilling to microwave (which is understandable). But. Hasselback sweet potatoes can be prepared in less than 30 minutes if you’re pressed for time and prefer the microwave. In either case, the two renditions are equally effective.
HOW LONG DO HASSELBACK POTATOES KEEP?
Any leftovers should be kept in an airtight container. In the refrigerator, they should keep for about 5 days. Place in a toaster oven or oven set to 350°F for 5-7 minutes to reheat. However, the potatoes won’t maintain their crispy quality when reheated in the microwave.
CAN YOU PREPARE THEM IN ADVANCE?
The potatoes can be prepared in advance and kept refrigerated under cover until you’re ready to bake them. Once they are done, you can easily keep them warm in the oven for about an hour.
Alternative Video Recipe: Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Easy 30-minute Pan Fried Potatoes and Onion Recipe – So Good!
- Best Garlic Red Skin Mashed Potatoes Recipe [Must Try!]
- Delicious Fried Squash Recipe [Super Yummy!
ARE THESE SWEET POTATOES VEGAN?
The potatoes are not vegan because butter is used to brush them. You can use vegan butter or plant-based oils like avocado or olive oil for the butter. If you do this, you might wish to season the potatoes with salt before baking them. They go well with a vegan dip or side dish.
HOW TO MAKE HASSELBACK SWEET POTATOES
- Start by giving the sweet potatoes a thorough clean, wash, and dry. Since you’ll be eating the potato skin, this is a crucial step. You can peel the fruit before baking if you don’t want to eat the skin but still want a crispy exterior.
- The recipe’s most time-consuming step is the next: slicing the potatoes. Slice the sweet potatoes into lengths about 1/8″ thick after placing them on a cutting board. Just be careful not to cut all the way through. Consider eating the sweet potato all the way through.
- Make a thin slice at the bottom of the sweet potato if you see that the sweet potatoes are not all the same shape—that aids in keeping it balanced. I also use chopsticks to keep the sweet potatoes steady and avoid cutting through.
- The four potatoes should then be covered in a tablespoon of butter. It’s okay if you discover that you need extra coating. Get between the slices without worrying; we’ll take care of that after the sweet potatoes are halfway done cooking. Just be sure to coat them correctly on the outside. Wait until the halfway point before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- After baking the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, take them out of the oven and spread the remaining tablespoon of butter between each slice. If you have a brush, using it is beneficial. To assist the butter penetrating the layers of the Hasselback, I also prefer to fan out the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- You can also add any herbs or seasonings at this time. This keeps the Hasselback sweet potatoes from scorching in the oven while adding flavor. Although thyme or rosemary are excellent companions, you can use any other herbs.
- These Hasselback sweet potatoes will be fork tender, incredibly soft inside, and have crisp skin after an entire hour in the oven. You can serve and eat them as soon as they come out of the oven.
HASSELBACK SWEET POTATOES VARIATIONS
Even while I adore simply seasoning the sweet potatoes with salt, pepper, and butter, it’s great to change this to make them stand out for special events or add diversity to the flavor. They are so adaptable that you can eat them both sweet and savory.
- Maple syrup with pecans. The sweet flavor of the sweet potatoes is enhanced, which is great for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- Sweetener and cinnamon. This is a beautiful dish for the holidays that almost tastes like dessert!
- Garlic with sage butter Instead of simple butter, consider mixing in some smashed garlic and finely chopped herbs like chives, rosemary, or thyme.
- Both cheese and herbs. Try sandwiching cheese, such as parmesan, gouda, or cheddar, as well as a complimentary herb, such as sage or rosemary, in between the pieces of sweet potato. For optimal results, stack cheese using skinny slices or shredded cheese.
TIPS FOR MAKING HASSELBACK SWEET POTATOES
- Clean the sweet potatoes thoroughly. Be careful to thoroughly clean the sweet potatoes because you’ll be smearing butter on them, which will cause them to turn golden, crispy, and wonderful.
- Before adding the butter, make sure the sweet potatoes are dehydrated. After washing, pat the potatoes fully dry. Before adding the butter, you can alternatively let them sit at room temperature for a little. As a result, the skin can get extremely crispy.
- Utilize sweet potatoes of the same size. This enables the sweet potatoes to cook uniformly throughout. If the sweet potatoes are unsteady, consider chopping off a thin bottom piece to prevent rolling as you cut them.
- When slicing sweet potatoes, place them on chopsticks. Hasselback sweet potatoes are stunning because of their accordion-style slices. You must save at least 12 inches of the potato’s bottom. Cutting through the potatoes is avoided by placing them on chopsticks.
Amazing Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 min
- Yield: 4 1x
Hasselback sweet potatoes are incredibly adaptable and may be used as a side dish or the main course on their own. This is one of the most significant ways to roast or bake a sweet potato, aside from Crispy Wedges. It is crispy on the outside and fork-tender inside. Use a technique I’ve been practicing for years to cut the typical baking time in half; top them with this Easy Garlic Butter, and be ready for your sweet potato life to change.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter spread divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ avocado diced (optional)
- 1 scallion white and green parts chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Set the oven to 425 °F. Use parchment paper to cover a baking sheet.
- The sweet potatoes should be washed and scrubbed before being dried with paper towels. Cut each potato into a succession of 1/8-inch slices, stopping 12 inches from the bottom. To avoid cutting all the way through the sweet potatoes, it is helpful to place them on chopsticks.
- On the potatoes, apply 1 tablespoon of the butter mixture. For about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes’ centers begin to soften, bake in the oven.
- After taking the potatoes out of the oven, spread the remaining butter over them, ensuring to get between the slices. Then, sprinkle some thyme on top, and use a fork to fan the slices apart gently. Return to the oven and bake the potatoes for 20 to 30 minutes or until they are crispy on the exterior and tender on the inside.
- While waiting, combine the yogurt, avocado, and scallions with a little salt and pepper. Along with the sweet potatoes, serve the dip.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: boilled
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 205kcal
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 126mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: Sweet potatoes,
What makes it Hasselback Sweet potatoes?
The Hasselback name is derived from the Hasselbacken restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden, where the Hasselback potato recipe was first made public in the 1940s. This method, which appears complex but is surprisingly simple to use, is a fantastic way to give your favorite meats and vegetables a little extra flair.
How are Jamie Oliver’s Hasselback potatoes prepared?
Slice slowly along the entire length at intervals of under 1/2 cm. Repeat the process with the remaining potatoes, putting them in a sizable roasting pan as you go. Sprinkle it with sea salt and black pepper, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and roast for an hour or until the potatoes are golden and soft. Remove, then let it cool.
What exactly is the Hasselback method?
Hasselback is a cooking technique where potatoes or other foods are sliced thinly and evenly and then filled or topped with additional seasonings. It’s a technique for increasing texture and giving flavors more surface area.
How come potatoes weren’t allowed in France?
However, the new meal, mainly used to feed pigs, was unpopular with the French populace. In 1748, parliament outlawed the cultivation of potatoes because it was believed that they transmitted diseases, particularly leprosy.
Is there a device that can make Hashbrown potatoes?
Use the Hasselback Cutter to make your Hasselback vegetables a crunchier and tastier substitute for straightforward roasted or grilled vegetables. Add your preferred ingredients after thinly slicing the veggies into a fan-like pattern.
More Alternative Potatoes Recipes to try!
ROSEMARY-PECAN SWEET POTATO MASH
Russet potatoes, get out of here! This delicious mash is made with maple syrup, Parmesan, and pecans, in addition to being garnished with nuts.
SORGHUM-GLAZED SWEET POTATOES
One of the many things we love about the South is the sweet sorghum. A sweet side can be made by adding candied nuts.
Pecans that have been candied or seasoned in a store lend crispness to this comfort food dish. Prepared potatoes can be covered and chilled in glaze the day before and placed in baking dishes. Reheat covered at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, or until well heated, after letting stand at room temperature.