Isn’t it true that summer isn’t complete without some grilled chicken?
It’s a go-to dish for warm-weather picnics, backyard get-togethers, and even a quick weekday meal.
Something about it embodies the season’s easygoing, casual, “enjoy life” ethos.
To prepare a juicy, tasty supper, air fryer BBQ chicken breasts are rubbed with an easy seasoning combination and smothered with BBQ sauce. In the air fryer, this BBQ chicken can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.
Serve it with a side dish of your choice, or on a salad or sandwich.
Where does BBQ Chicken come from?
The tradition appears to have originated in the United States. Our forefathers started the habit about 2 million years ago, when they started roasting meat over an open fire. The practice of smothering meat in spices and sauces, on the other hand, dates back to the Caribbean. Regardless, I’m delighted the fad is still alive and well.
In the air fryer, how should I cook BBQ Chicken perfectly?
This recipe will give you the tried-and-true barbecue chicken you crave, but with a fun twist: it’ll be cooked in an air fryer rather than on the grill! The skin of the chicken becomes particularly crispy and tasty when cooked this way. (See more of our air fryer chicken recipes here!) The barbecue sauce keeps the chicken juicy while perfectly offsetting the crisp of the skin.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
- Preparation is simple. There’s no need to heat up the grill or wait for the oven to pre-heat. My Air Fryer doesn’t need to be preheated, and the majority of them do so rapidly. Rub the chicken with salt and pepper before placing it in the fryer basket. Cook and flip, that’s all there is to it!
- This is a fantastic alternative for weekly meal prep. If you’re a Sunday meal planner who’s already utilizing the oven, stovetop, and everything in between, you can save time by putting this chicken in the air fryer. Make the most of your food preparation time by eating off of it throughout the week.
- This is a simple meal that goes well with any side dish. BBQ chicken is a versatile supper that goes well with almost anything. Two of our favorite foods are macaroni and cheese and street corn. However, this Air Fryer Chicken Breast goes nicely with a salad, macaroni salad, potatoes, and just about anything else you have in the fridge!
Substitution and Ingredients:
- The easiest method to prepare this air fryer barbecue chicken breast is to use your favorite BBQ sauce, but if you want to get creative, you can always make your own sauce.
- Cayenne pepper is an optional ingredient. Check to verify how spicy the barbecue sauce you’re using is before using it, so you don’t end up with overly fiery chicken.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER BBQ CHICKEN BREAST:
When preparing chicken in the air fryer, the key is to keep the seasonings on the chicken. This can be accomplished by spraying the chicken with cooking spray before flavoring it.
- Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a mixing bowl (if using). Spray one side of your chicken with oil, then season all over with the spice and gently press it in. Rep on the opposite side. (1st step)
- Spritz the air fryer basket, then place the chicken in the air fryer with the top side/presentation side down. Heat for 10 minutes at 360°F. (2nd step)
- Flip the chicken after 10 minutes has passed. Return to the air fryer and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the barbecue chicken reaches 165°F in the thickest portion. (3rd and 4th steps)
Spread the BBQ sauce generously over the top and sides of the chicken once it has reached 165°F. Return to the air fryer for another 1-2 minutes. Because the BBQ sauce cooks so quickly, you don’t need to cook it for very long.
Remove the chicken and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
NOTES AND TIPS:
- Pound the chicken to get it as even as possible for the best results. If you have thick chicken on one side and thin chicken on the other, one side may be overcooked while the other is undercooked.
- Chicken breasts come in a variety of sizes and forms. If your chicken is particularly huge and thick (over an inch and a half thick), it will definitely take longer to cook. If you have small breasts, you may want to check in after a shorter period of time. This requires the use of a meat thermometer.
- You don’t want to cook the chicken in the BBQ sauce the entire time. Only add it at the end to the air fryer BBQ chicken breasts. If you don’t, you’ll wind up with really black chicken!
- To bring out the Smokey BBQ taste in this air fryer BBQ chicken, replace the ordinary paprika with smoked paprika.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, you used the air fryer to cook uncooked frozen chicken! You won’t be able to brine it or pound it to an equal thickness (so the results won’t be as juicy), but it’s a nice option to have on hand if you forget to thaw your chicken.
How long does it take to grill chicken in the air fryer?
In the air fryer, arrange the chicken in a single layer. Cook for 8 minutes at 400°F, then rotate the chicken and cook for another 5-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken breast reaches 165°F at the thickest portion.
Is it necessary for me to use Chicken Drumsticks in this recipe?
Because it’s a simple meal for a weekday dinner or picnics, I use my family ‘s favorite chicken drumsticks. This brown sugar and garlic powder rub is also excellent on chicken pieces like chicken wings and chicken breasts. If you use a thicker piece of chicken, the cooking time may vary.
What Kind of BBQ Sauce Should You Use?
For this delectable dish, you can add your preferred sauce and taste you like. Sweet Baby Ray’s is our favorite barbecue sauce. Hickory Smoke and Honey sauces, for example, can greatly enhance the flavor. It is entirely up to you!