Making air fryer French toast is a terrific way to use up leftover bread while also providing a quick and easy breakfast or snack alternative.
It only takes a few minutes to prepare! I’ll also teach you how to make frozen French toast sticks and air-fry them.
For this dish, I like to use brioche or a soft, light sourdough sandwich bread.
In the air fryer, make the most delectable French toast sticks fast and easily. They’re perfect for a quick breakfast and turn out beautifully. For a nice nibble, season with cinnamon!
BREAD OF THE BEST QUALITY
Any white bread, such as sandwich toast or French bread, or sweet bread, such as challah or brioche, will suffice. I also enjoy sourdough sandwiches and sourdough brioche, which are mildly acidic breads. You can also use crusty sourdough bread, which isn’t my taste.
Whatever option you select, make sure the bread is stale so it can absorb the egg mixture more effectively. Your bread will be wonderful after a day on the counter.
BEST TOPPINGS for French Toast
With a variety of toppings, these delectable toast pieces become even more delectable. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of cinnamon and serve with maple syrup and a dab of whipped cream if you want it traditional. Some of my favorite toppings include banana slices, fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, chocolate chips or syrup, hazelnut spread, peanut butter, apple butter, caramel sauce, or crispy bacon.
How to make Air Fryer French Toast
- Make the bread and egg mixture as follows:
- Brioche or challah bread should be cut into thick slices. Remove from the equation.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, cream/half-and-half, vanilla, and cinnamon; leave aside.
- Create an assembly line by placing the whisked egg mixture and bread close to one another.
- To keep the bread from sticking to the air fryer basket, spray it with nonstick oil spray (I prefer to use a MISTO SPRAYER like this one) or line it with parchment paper (this is important).
Other Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Juicy and Tasty Air Fryer BBQ Chicken – Quick and Easy
- CRISPY AIR FRYER TURKEY BACON – (Quick and Easy)
- Extra Juicy Air Fryer Meatloaf (Delicious recipe)
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Remove from the mixture and drip for a few seconds before placing in the air fryer basket. Continue with the remaining slices.
- In my air fryer, I was able to accommodate four slices, but depending on the size of your air fryer, you may be able to fit more or fewer.
- In the air fryer, you may need to do 2-3 batches. If you overcrowd them, they will not crisp up.
- Close the Air Fryer and preheat it to 400°F for 5 minutes. Open the basket after 5 minutes and carefully flip the french toast slices. Close the air fryer and continue to cook at 400 degrees for another 3-4 minutes. Depending on the air fryer model, the time may vary slightly.
- When the French toast is done, remove it from the pan and continue to cook the remaining slices.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and powdered sugar, or any toppings of your choice!
TIPS FOR AIR FRYING FRENCH TOAST
- Don’t soak the bread for too long. Brioche has a delicate texture that will easily absorb the custard liquid. It can start to crumble apart if you soak it too long.
- Use parchment paper to line the air fryer basket. If your bread is a touch mushy, line the basket with parchment paper to prevent liquid from pooling in the bottom. There was no need for parchment paper in this air fryer.
- Prepare your air fryer by preheating it. The French toast sticks will not cook through evenly if you do not preheat your air fryer, and the middles may still be raw. If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat option, set it to 375°F for 5 minutes before adding the bread.
- Replace the bread with something else. Although we prefer brioche for its richness and sweetness, you can use other sliced breads in this recipe. If you are using a substantial bread, such as sourdough, soak it in the egg mixture for a bit longer.
REHEAT, STORE, AND FREEZE
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be kept for up to two days in the refrigerator. Reheat for 2 minutes at 360°F (182°C) until hot. Halfway through, flip the page.
- Freezer: Cooking it from frozen is just as simple. Wrap twice in plastic wrap and freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months once cold. Reheat for 6 minutes at 360°F (182°C) until hot. After 3 minutes, turn.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does French toast take to cook in an air fryer?
5 to 6 minutes at 375°F is ideal for a soft and fluffy bite. Because different air fryer models operate differently, check at roughly 4 minutes.
What are other toppings I can use on French Toast?
Fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries) and a dusting of brown sugar are some of my favorite toppings. This French toast has also been topped with whipped cream and chocolate chips by me. There are a plethora of choices, so follow your palate.
Why doesn’t my French toast get crispy?
If there’s too much, the egg won’t cook, resulting in mushy, wet bread. The French toast should have a dry surface and somewhat crisp edges. The bread will be too flimsy to hold together when dipped in the custard if it is too thin. It will never cook through to the middle if it is too thick.
Can you reheat French toast in the air fryer?
In the Air Fryer, reheat French Toast Sticks. … Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In the air fryer, place any leftover French toast sticks. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until well heated, and then enjoy!