The Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is a simple recipe that even children can prepare.
FREE Get Yours Today!
3 Secrets to Ease Your Cooking
A classic sandwich with perfectly toasted bread and melted cheese that can be paired with a variety of side dishes for a delicious meal.
Recently, my air fryer has been working nonstop. There are so many things you can easily make in it, and best of all, children can cook with it.
I like how they don’t have to turn on the gas stove; instead, they just put food in the fryer basket and go. I don’t think I’ll ever make grilled cheese in a skillet again after making these in the air fryer.
Other Recipes to try
- Super Crispy Air Fryer Frozen Dumplings
- 8 Most Irresistible Air Fryer Desserts
- Easy Crispy Air Fryer Corn Dogs From Scratch
WHY I LOVE THIS GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH?
It’s not difficult to make a grilled cheese sandwich, but it’s even easier in the air fryer.
- It’s simple to make four sandwiches at once.
- They brown equally well on both sides (and are not greasy).
- They’re just the right amount of crisp with melty cheese, in my opinion.
- With just a wipe to the basket, cleanup is a breeze.
- It’s a simple air fryer recipe that’s ideal for beginners and young cooks.
Alternative Version: The Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Video
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Bread. Don’t cut corners here. I like to use artisan-style bread that is either sourdough or whole grain. While standard sandwich bread can be used to make air fryer grilled cheese, a higher-quality loaf is well worth the extra money.
- Cheese. You can either grate it yourself from the block or use deli slices. I don’t recommend pre-shredded cheese in a bag. They are usually powder-coated to keep them from clumping together and thus failing to melt properly.
- Grilled Cheese Sauce to die for. While it’s optional, I like to spread Greek yogurt and Dijon mustard on the inside of my grilled cheese sandwiches. It enhances the flavor of the sandwich.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER GRILLED CHEESE?
- Spread: Spread softened butter or mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place the bread, spread side down, in the fryer basket. Top with cheese, followed by another piece of bread, spread side up.
- Cook for 4 minutes at 370°F in an air fryer, then flip the sandwiches and cook for another 4 minutes at 370°F.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GRILLED CHEESE?
If you want fries with your grilled cheese, cook them in the air fryer basket alongside the grilled cheese.
Alexa or Ore Ida frozen fries are my favorites. I’ll bake frozen french fries for 12 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
CAN YOU MAKE A TOASTED SANDWICH IN AN AIR FRYER?
After I mention that I enjoy making grilled cheese sandwiches, I am frequently asked if I can make a toasted sandwich in an air fryer.
This is because people believe that if you can make an air fryer grilled cheese, surely any toasted sandwich qualifies.
In an air fryer, you can make any type of toasted sandwich. Grilled cheese is my favorite, but you could also do cheese and ham, cheese and bacon, chicken and sweetcorn, or a toasted tuna melt.
TIPS FOR USING AIR FRYERS
- Preheating: Some air fryers need to be preheated, while others do not. Check the manual for your air fryer. Mine does not need to be preheated. If the food ever burns or fails to cook properly, this could explain why the recipe did not work for you.
- Overcrowding: Avoid overcrowding the basket. Some foods will not cook properly or completely.
- Oil: One of the reasons air fryers are so popular is that food does not require a lot of oil. Just a small amount.
HOW TO REHEAT GRILLED CHEESE?
You can also reheat your grilled cheese in the air fryer. Simply reheat your grilled cheese in the air fryer for 2 minutes at 160c/320f. The grilled cheese will be perfectly reheated.
The same rule applies when reheating your grilled cheese sandwich. However, because a grilled cheese sandwich is larger, we recommend increasing the cooking time to 4 minutes.
- For this recipe, I did not preheat my air fryer, but if your machine requires it, preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Make sure the basket isn’t too full. Depending on the bread size, two sandwiches should fit.
- If you’re using thin bread, you might want to insert a toothpick in the center of the sandwich to keep it from falling apart while cooking. Air fryers cook by circulating hot air, and if the bread is light, it may blow off.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if you air fry cheese?
Unless you start with something frozen, you’re out of luck. Simply putting cheese in the machine causes it to melt and stick to the air fryer, resulting in a sloppy mess.
What’s better for grilled cheese mayo or butter?
Because the ingredients in store-bought mayonnaise have a higher smoke point than butter, your grilled cheese sandwich will be more foolproof. For a crisper exterior and fluffier interior, cook the sandwich over (slightly) higher heat. Mayonnaise is also much easier to spread on bread.
Can butter paper be used in an air fryer?
No, it is not recommended to use baking paper or tin foil in your Philips Airfryer for the following reasons: If you put baking paper or tin foil in the bottom of the pan where the grease and dirt are collected, the airflow will be disrupted and you will not get a good cooking result.
Can you use air fryer to toast bread?
Choose your favorite bread and the number of slices of toast you want to make. Place each slice of bread in a single layer in the basket or on the baking rack. Air fry the toast for 4-6 minutes at 400°F, or until golden brown. Halfway through the cooking time, flip the bread.