Learn how to make chicken breasts in your crockpot for quick weeknight dinners.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipe is simple and ideal for meal prep or as a base for a meal.
Crockpot dinners are by far my favorite type of meal to prepare.
I love being able to throw everything in the crockpot and leave it to cook all day without worrying about what’s for dinner.
This delicious crockpot chicken breast recipe is a great starting point for a variety of lunches and dinners.
It’s an excellent recipe to have on hand for busy weeknights or meal prep.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CROCK POT CHICKEN BREASTS RECIPE?
- Quick and simple! This easy chicken recipe relies entirely on your crockpot.
- It goes with everything. These crockpot chicken breasts go great with any side dish you make!
- Leftovers with multiple uses. I love having leftover crockpot chicken breasts because I know I’ll have dinner covered for the next few days. It’s a breeze to transform these chicken breasts into pulled chicken sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, or even chicken fajitas.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT SLOW COOKER CHICKEN BREAST?
- Select high-quality chicken. I’m not saying it has to be expensive (I buy frozen chicken breasts on sale! ), but I’ve noticed that there can be a significant difference in quality from one box of chicken breasts to the next. Find a type that you like and stick with it.
- What do I use this 2.5 quart crockpot for if it’s not too full or too empty? Almost everything nowadays. It’s the ideal size for four or six chicken breasts. I’ve discovered that cooking just a couple of chicken breasts in a larger crockpot cooks faster and is more prone to overcooking. When your slow cooker is at least halfway full, the chicken has some “insulation” and doesn’t cook as quickly.
- Whether to sear or not to sear. I tried both methods because I like to know what I’m talking about when I promise you the most delectable slow cooker chicken breast you’ve ever had. I discovered that there wasn’t much of a difference between the two. If you want to sear it ahead of time, go ahead; if you’re already frazzled and want to dump and go, go ahead.
- Buttered bread (my secret ingredient that makes all the difference). Alternatively, margarine. Another moment of candor: I eat a lot of margarine. I just don’t despise it. Chicken thighs are known to have more flavor and juiciness than chicken breasts, and this is due to the fact that they have three times the amount of fat. I figured that by adding just a little bit of fat to the slow cooker, I could give my chicken breasts some fat love.
- Don’t overcook the food. Fill your slow cooker more than halfway if you want a longer cook time, as this slows down the cooking process.
CAN I COOK FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS IN A CROCKPOT?
Unfortunately, cooking frozen chicken breast in a slow cooker is not recommended.
The temperature in the crock pot does not rise quickly enough to kill the bacteria. It’s best to use freshly thawed chicken or thaw it in the microwave before putting it in the crockpot.
HOW LONG DO I COOK CHICKEN IN THE CROCK POT?
Crockpot chicken cook time is determined by the setting you choose for your crock pot.
If you’re anything like me, you’ll throw everything in the crockpot first thing in the morning and let it cook on low all day.
If you decide to cook it on low all day, it will take 4 to 6 hours. If you want to cook your crockpot chicken breasts later in the day, you can cook them on high for 3 to 4 hours.
HOW TO SERVE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN?
Add a side dish to this recipe to make it more filling, or turn it into slow cooker honey garlic chicken and veggies.
- Veggies. While the sauce thickens in the slow cooker, sauté or steam broccoli or mixed vegetables. I cooked a frozen stir-fry mix with olive oil, garlic, and a few shakes of soy sauce. Microwavable frozen vegetables that steam in the bag are another convenient option. For a low-carb meal, serve your honey garlic chicken over sautéed cabbage.
- Rice. Pile the vegetables on top of cooked brown rice (or cauliflower rice) and top with plenty of the juicy chicken. Spread a generous amount of the tasty honey garlic sauce on top.
Alternatively, serve the honey garlic chicken with Homemade Fried Rice.
- Salad. Delicious Asian-inspired Ramen Salad would be a crowd-pleaser.
HOW TO STORE, REHEAT, AND FREEZE?
- To keep. Cooked and cooled leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To heat up again. Reheat gently in a saucepan over medium-low heat, adding a splash of broth or water as needed to prevent it from drying out. You can also reheat this in the microwave until it is thoroughly heated.
- To become frozen. Cooked and cooled chicken can be stored in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
CAN YOU PUT FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS IN A SLOW COOKER?
I wouldn’t put frozen chicken breasts in a slow cooker. In a slow cooker, frozen chicken breasts take longer to heat than thawed chicken.
It may take too long to heat frozen chicken breasts to a safe temperature.
The best way to cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker is to thaw them first and then cook them.
Furthermore, if you brown the chicken breasts according to this recipe, you should thaw the chicken first before putting it in a pan to brown.
- Browning the chicken before cooking it in the crock pot is highly recommended. Browning the chicken gives the dish a lot of flavor. Browning the chicken is optional if you don’t have time.
- This recipe can be made with chicken thighs or drumsticks. You can use whatever cut of chicken you want. Don’t be concerned about the chicken breasts drying out because they will cook in the sauce and have gravy on top to keep them tender and moist.
- You can make a one-pot meal by adding vegetables like carrots and potatoes to the crock pot. Just make sure to cut the vegetables into large chunks so they don’t become overly soft after the long cooking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should you cook chicken breast in the slow cooker?
Cook the chicken breasts in the crock pot on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F, it is done. Chicken can be used in a variety of recipes.
Can I slow cook chicken breast for 8 hours?
Season the chicken breasts and place them in a slow cooker (and liquid, if using). Cook for 8 hours on low, or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. And the chicken has always released a LOT of extra juices while cooking, resulting in a moist product.
Can you put raw chicken breast in the slow cooker?
If you don’t overcrowd your slow cooker with ingredients, raw chicken will usually cook in 4-6 hours on low. The less time required, the more sauce in the pot and the fewer pieces of chicken.